The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just thought I'd post up these few pictures of my late uncles watch repair tools.

He was in the business for a while after WW2 and then carried on fixing his own and friends and family.

I haven't quite inherited the skills but I love some of these vintage tools.
They have a beauty all of their own in my eyes! Almost like works of art rather than tools.

I thought I'd share a few photo's and ask what a couple of these things are used for...? In particular what is the tool in photo 1 , and then what are the circular 'rings' that fit inside each other used for in photo 2?

·
Super Moderator
3,107 Posts
Neat! Do you have more photos of the first tool, specifically the inside ends if the upper rods, the inside end of the single horizontal rod below it, and lastly, the upper end of the vertical rod at the lowest point of the frame?
Otherwise, here are some answers: behind the first tool is one marked Bergeon Platax- this is a roller remover, missing some punches I think.
Second photo- movement rests. Like movement holders, but the movement just sits on it, without being held securely. Old school!
Third: oil cups in foreground. If those have jeweled cups under the lids- a semi-expensive tool when new, depending on finish (they charge more for the high polish finish vs. the blasted finish, but both are north of $100). I the background is a case back opening tool. It also doubles as a case back closing tool, in a pinch. :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for reply.

Yes, there are some more bits and pieces that I guess would go with these but didn't include in the photo. Pin type things

I had a feeling those rings might be for holding a movement but that was just a guess.

The 4 pots with substance in them are really heavy, so much so I guess they must be made of brass or some such.

BTW what is a roller remover and what does it do?

I have some other things that I will try and photograph tomorrow and post up.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a photo my uncle took when he was in the trade.

Some of the tools I have are in the picture (which I estimate are some time between 1948-1953)

·
Super Moderator
3,107 Posts
BTW what is a roller remover and what does it do?
It is a tool for removing the roller table from the lower half of balance wheels, necessary when replacing the roller, or replacing the balance staff. I found a scan of the original instructions here:
http://watchinprogress.com/bergeon-platax-roller-staff-remover-instructions/

They include mention of also using it to knock out balance staffs, but I wouldn't recommend that on many balances, where the turned over rivet on the upper edge of the balance wheel will be forced through the hole in the arms, enlarging it and distorting it. Some have a rivet that is meant to crack and pop off when knocking the staff out, but many do not. Unless you know for sure what yours has, the safest method is to soak the staff out (if no other parts of the balance are steel), or turn it out with a lathe and graver.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a tool for removing the roller table from the lower half of balance wheels, necessary when replacing the roller, or replacing the balance staff. I found a scan of the original instructions here:
http://watchinprogress.com/bergeon-platax-roller-staff-remover-instructions/

They include mention of also using it to knock out balance staffs, but I wouldn't recommend that on many balances, where the turned over rivet on the upper edge of the balance wheel will be forced through the hole in the arms, enlarging it and distorting it. Some have a rivet that is meant to crack and pop off when knocking the staff out, but many do not. Unless you know for sure what yours has, the safest method is to soak the staff out (if no other parts of the balance are steel), or turn it out with a lathe and graver.
Many thanks for information and link!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts