The Watch Site banner

Watch stem

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  landon 
#1 ·
I have a Seiko wrist watch model number 5y23-8040 that needs a stem and crown. The stem broke off inside the crown. I know this is an old watch and don't know if it is worth repairing. If it is worth repairing where could I get the stem and crown?
Another thing how do you remove the stem from the movement?

#2 ·
For reference, here is the technical guide to your movement:
http://www.thewatchsite.com/d1/files/Seiko Technical Manuals/5Y22A_23A_30A_31A_32A_39A.pdf

New stems look to be available from Esslinger.com (part number 351546) for about $6. If any of the old stem is still sticking out of the crown, I'd suggest soaking it in Naptha or rubbing alcohol to loosen any adhesive, and then holding the stem with some needle-nose pliers, the crown should twist off (normal threading).

Normally there is a small push button to release the stem from the movement (again, usually denoted by a small arrow imprinted on the movement pointing to the correct button - which you can press in with a sewing needle while pulling out the stem). Looking at a picture of your movement, I don't see that. So, not knowing for sure, I'd start by seeing if pressing the small gold button above the "C" in Seiko Corp releases the old stem.

Good luck!

#4 · (Edited)
I looked on the Esslinger.com site under the number 351546 and 5y23 was not listed. Looking about 4 lines down it shows the 5y23 with a number of 351670 but says it is "not available"

I got the broken stem out of the movement. It was a little button that I used a straighten paper clip to push down on and it slipped out. Now I will try the things listed to remove the broken stem from the crown and hopefully I can find a new stem.

#5 ·
Part number 351670 is discontinued from Seiko I believe. I am not sure if there are other compatible stems. I do have one 351670 stem left in my inventory. I am not a big collector of Seiko's powered by the 5Y23 so I don't mind letting it go.
Most 5Y23 powered Seiko's don't have much collectable value but since it seems you are capable of fixing it yourself why not put a new stem in it. If you want to buy the one I have just let me know.

Michael

#7 ·
Interesting....5y23 is listed twice on Esslinger's site - once under the part number I posted, and once under the one that Killsnapz posted. http://www.esslinger.com/genuine-seiko-replacement-watch-stems.aspx

Jules Borel lists the crown as fitting a Tap 11 stem, so I'm inclined now to go with the stem that Killsnapz listed, as the part number that I posted is Tap 13. Apologies for the confusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.