The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my case, I haven't really used sites like Ebay until the pandemic. So my watch hobby kinda got a real jump-start from this whole mess. Think I have made 10 purchases from ebay since march 12th, all watch related.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
My watchmaker and Seiko AD closed and still is closed until 5/29. That said, by appointment he opened for me. Donning masks he passed me a bunch of watches he'd been working on for me and I ordered parts through him. His retail sales are shut down though. I've bought an couple of things via auction as well. Funny my watchmaker said that closing allowed him to strictly focus on repairs and so he was able to clear his backlog of my stuff.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Haven't really been bidding on anything too much. I shop on YJ so shipping to the US is affected.
That said, I did bid on two SP450 after seeing a really nice example go for approx $1600. Brian got a fenomenal one for a couple hundred more, and another sold for $1750 last week. All three of them were underpriced in my opinion and warranted an extended waiting period. Other than that mostly watching but not bidding.

Rob

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Because shipping is a problem, buying and servicing are on hold for me. I have a watch in the UK that has been serviced and a few spares elsewhere that I can't get back to me.

So it's a case of waiting for things to improve before I make any purchasing decisions

·
Registered
824 Posts
I imagine normal service for buying etc will take a long while before it resumes, I know that I have resisted buying a couple of items for sale internationally.
I've resisted now for exactly two whole months. :cool:
The last 7A38 that I bought was that impulse purchase stainless 7A38-6020 on 23rd March.

Instead I'm concentrating on sorting out my collection and finishing off 'a few' backlog projects. The only shipping and receiving I've done since 23rd March (and only then by RMSD) have been my own watches going back and forward to Simon 'Sir Alan' Wilkinson for movement servicing.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Haven't really been bidding on anything too much. I shop on YJ so shipping to the US is affected.
That said, I did bid on two SP450 after seeing a really nice example go for approx $1600. Brian got a fenomenal one for a couple hundred more, and another sold for $1750 last week. All three of them were underpriced in my opinion and warranted an extended waiting period. Other than that mostly watching but not bidding.

Rob
I bought a 7c43 from YJ earlier this month without issue. Japan Post and EMS weren’t shipping to the US, but DHL still was...and Buyee let me pick which shipping service I wanted. If I’d wanted EMS, they’d have warehoused it for me for up to two months. I don’t have the patience for that! :) Got here inside a week via DHL, no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Watch fairs are probably a long way off from resuming in most countries. No more special events at ADs, etc. Probably the last nail in the Basel coffin certainly as you knew it.

Seiko USA is still shut down I paid for a BIG parts order in March they have my money but no idea when they will return to pick my stuff or if I will even get it. So, that said, I am not ordering any spare parts for me or any one else.

I just got packages from South Korea and Hong Kong both came quickly enough just minimal delays.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I have been in active buying mode from sellers around the world. Maybe six purchases since March. Some rare 6139s have been turning up that I couldn’t say no to and I’ve been handing some of them off to sir Alan and John. I got a Sunrise out of Italy, a resist silver dial from Venezuela, a Proof Pogue from Utah, and others from around the US. Getting some parts from the UK too. I haven’t had too many issues with shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Apart from taking a bit of a break for the first few weeks of lockdown in the UK, I've continued to buy watches from eBay as before and have noticed little affect on deliveries. Things are taking a little longer to get to me as you'd expect, but nowhere near as long as I'd have thought. In the last month alone I've had watches from Europe, Japan, the US and Australia get to me without issue. The only real difference I've observed is that some things have slipped through customs without attracting a charge, despite the value being stated on the package. It's saved me a good few quid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts