The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know, we have decided to try our hand at basic watch repair classes. I envision this to be a step above movement, tools, book. I would like to have formal classes where everyone worked on the same movement and at the same pace. We could post technical information with step-by-step instructions. I would like to start with a basic man's mechanical movement and, possibly, move through more complicated movements. I would like input on what everyones' thoughts are and what you would like to see. Please post any suggestions or questions on the Watch school board. We will have a list of tools that will be necessary for each level. We will decide on the movement after I get input and the number of people interested.
Ken

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hi Ken, I think this could be very interesting for newbs like myself. I was just reading about tzwatchschool kits over on the other watch site. I found it interesting, that levels in different kits, supplied with movements/parts to work on.
Is this something similar your pitching? Or just a just a diy basic repair type thing where we all participate and focus on a particular task step by step,at the same time?
I've been slowly getting tools together, but I guess we'd all need to get our own tools and movements/parts to work on. Maybe a source to supply the necessary test/work subjects can be arranged? I certainly don't have any extra parts or any watches I can operate for fun right now.
Please let us know more. I'm sure there would be more than a few into learning some skills. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I am pitching is a step above the TZ school. We don't want to just sell tools and movements but give anyone who wants a chance to learn the basics of a watch. We will, eventually, sell tools on the forum. We will arrange the purchase of new movements so everyone will have the same one to work on. By buying them in bulk we can pass the savings along to the members wanting to try their hand.
A watch is a watch is a watch. I was thinking about Chinese mechanical movements because they will be less expensive and easier to come by. I would like to have nice enough quality that each one in the school can fit the movement into a case a wear once they have practiced on it.
As the course progresses, I think we could zero in on specific Seiko or other Asian movements to tear into.
As I have stated, this is just the preliminary groundwork and I welcome any suggestions

Ken

sharkfinDave said:
Hi Ken, I think this could be very interesting for newbs like myself. I was just reading about tzwatchschool kits over on the other watch site. I found it interesting, that levels in different kits, supplied with movements/parts to work on.
Is this something similar your pitching? Or just a just a diy basic repair type thing where we all participate and focus on a particular task step by step,at the same time?
I've been slowly getting tools together, but I guess we'd all need to get our own tools and movements/parts to work on. Maybe a source to supply the necessary test/work subjects can be arranged? I certainly don't have any extra parts or any watches I can operate for fun right now.
Please let us know more. I'm sure there would be more than a few into learning some skills. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

K

·
0 Posts
I think its a great idea. id love to be apart of it. Maybe the 7S26 movement or something thats readlily available

·
Registered
76 Posts
Greetings everybody
Its my first post, but I am reading this forum for a while now.
I like the idea, but with the movements, be sure that you can deliver spare parts.
People are going to loose springs, or break balances.

Just my 2 cents

John

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
KenS said:
What I am pitching is a step above the TZ school. We don't want to just sell tools and movements but give anyone who wants a chance to learn the basics of a watch. We will, eventually, sell tools on the forum. We will arrange the purchase of new movements so everyone will have the same one to work on. By buying them in bulk we can pass the savings along to the members wanting to try their hand.
A watch is a watch is a watch. I was thinking about Chinese mechanical movements because they will be less expensive and easier to come by. I would like to have nice enough quality that each one in the school can fit the movement into a case a wear once they have practiced on it.
As the course progresses, I think we could zero in on specific Seiko or other Asian movements to tear into.
As I have stated, this is just the preliminary groundwork and I welcome any suggestions

Ken
Ken,

This is a great idea! I hope we can follow through with this. May I suggest using the 7S26 (a.k.a. NH26), as this is a movement we likely all own multiple copies of, and it would be nice to be able to transplant a freshly-serviced movement into one of our own watches. Perhaps one of our members in Hong Kong could broker the deal with SII.

Best,
Myles

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Myles,
I was thinking of starting with a less complicated movement but I believe the 7S26 will be a good one to start with. Your idea of having a freshly serviced one to pop into a case makes perfect sense. I will be posting a poll on the watchmaking board.

Ken

Selym said:
Ken,

This is a great idea! I hope we can follow through with this. May I suggest using the 7S26 (a.k.a. NH26), as this is a movement we likely all own multiple copies of, and it would be nice to be able to transplant a freshly-serviced movement into one of our own watches. Perhaps one of our members in Hong Kong could broker the deal with SII.

Best,
Myles

·
Registered
34 Posts
This concept is very interesting to me. As a total noob in this watch hobby, I recently opened up my < $25usd MQJ submariner (DG2813) and played around with sterilizing the dial. But without proper tools, I was not ready to remove the hands and perform other mods.

The 7s26 (or unbranded generic) would be nice to work but I'm not sure if I'm ready to open up one of my working Seikos.

If the price for tools and movement is right, count me in.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Great idea. 7S26 movement would certainly fit the bill but could I also suggest considering the Asian movements. Someone mentioned the DG2813 which I believe is a Miyota clone? Can I also suggest Sea-Gull ST21 (ETA 2824-2)?
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Stony said:
great idea!

7s26 will be fine, but can I suggest 6106/6119 based seikos, they are cheap on ebay and almost always in need of service....

thanks!!!!
I think it would be better to start with brand-new movements. It think it's best when learning to start with as few variables as possible. That is, if we know the movement was working to begin with, and it's no longer working, than the student obviously made a mistake.

Best,
myles

·
Registered
73 Posts
Selym said:
I think it would be better to start with brand-new movements. It think it's best when learning to start with as few variables as possible. That is, if we know the movement was working to begin with, and it's no longer working, than the student obviously made a mistake.

Best,
myles
ah, didnt think of that aspect :) good suggestion!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This sounds FUN!
Ive ruined many a russian movement(there cheap!) trying things out!

and a few Seiko, I am ashamed to say, but I can now do the basics!

I look forward to finding out how to do it the correct way!

regards, Derek.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Myles,
I am in agreement with you that we should start with a new movement. I had originally thought of a Seagull since we can get them for not a lot of money. Once we have torn them apart and got them back together, with all parts and working, we can graduate to the Seiko movements for personal use. I will start a poll to see what movements everyone wants to start with.

Ken

Selym said:

Best,
myles

·
Registered
292 Posts
KenS said:
Myles,
I am in agreement with you that we should start with a new movement. I had originally thought of a Seagull since we can get them for not a lot of money. Once we have torn them apart and got them back together, with all parts and working, we can graduate to the Seiko movements for personal use. I will start a poll to see what movements everyone wants to start with.

Ken
Ken, I believe the ST21 comes in a number of grades. I haven't a clue what the differences are as the grade increases from the basic model to the highest but I wondered if it would be possible, during the school, to improve the basic movement. This could theoretically mean buying a very cheap movement and ending up with a much improved one. Is this possible or am I talking complete rubbish?
Kind regards
Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dave,
I like the way you think. We could take a very basic caliber and upgrade it into someting much nicer. There are a few ways to do this, but they would require more tools. I think I need to find out how deep people are willing to get into this. Certainly something to think about.

Ken

DaveS said:
Ken, I believe the ST21 comes in a number of grades. I haven't a clue what the differences are as the grade increases from the basic model to the highest but I wondered if it would be possible, during the school, to improve the basic movement. This could theoretically mean buying a very cheap movement and ending up with a much improved one. Is this possible or am I talking complete rubbish?
Kind regards
Dave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts