The Watch Site banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
33,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about some private-owner watch FS ads that start out, "I am reluctantly putting this up for sale", or "I just hate to sell this" or other wording that conveys that the seller's arm is really being twisted to sell a particular piece? IMHO, if the seller really "hates" to sell the watch, he simply shouldn't. Unless a true hardship situation exists, I just mentally place such statements in the category that my old business-law professor termed, "harmless trade puffery". ::) ;D

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
As someone who has significantly reduced a collection, I can tell you that it was very hard/sad to let some of them go. :'( But I was pleased that most those to good homes. ;)

normdiaz said:
about some private-owner watch FS ads that start out, "I am reluctantly putting this up for sale", or "I just hate to sell this" or other wording that conveys that the seller's arm is really being twisted to sell a particular piece? IMHO, if the seller really "hates" to sell the watch, he simply shouldn't. Unless a true hardship situation exists, I just mentally place such statements in the category that my old business-law professor termed, "harmless trade puffery". ::) ;D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Agree with John, sometimes a sale can be a sad affair. I had some car trouble yesterday, and as is natural for a WIS with a modest collection, I did a mental inventory. If I needed the money badly, is there one I could live without? Short answer: yes. And I know which watch it would be, even though I had to wait a while to acquire that piece, as they're just not that common. I've streamlined my collection to the point where I don't have much "dead weight" anymore. Everything I have, I really enjoy. Picking one to let go becomes a sort of "Sophie's choice".

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Just more words that I ignore in sales posts.

My personal favorite is "literally worn like only 3 times while on a Tempurpedic mattress with well moisturized skin". Well, I'm just fooling on the back end of that statement, but you get the idea. I don't care how many times you wore it and the number doesn't effect the price you should be asking for it.

·
33,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nhoJ said:
Just more words that I ignore in sales posts.

My personal favorite is "literally worn like only 3 times while on a Tempurpedic mattress with well moisturized skin". Well, I'm just fooling on the back end of that statement, but you get the idea. I don't care how many times you wore it and the number doesn't effect the price you should be asking for it.
That's almost as bad as "minty", which IMHO should be reserved for candy sales. ;D
(Agree "times worn" shouldn't affect price, but may be a rough indicator of condition.)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've resolved to, at some point in the future, take a picture of one of my watches next to a York Peppermint Patty, so I can list it as "near mint".

As regards the descriptions that start, "Only worn once...", I figure what they're leaving out is, "while rock climbing, and unfortunately it took quite a beating when I slipped and fell thirty feet, but I haven't worn it since then." :))

·
33,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TakesALickin said:
I've resolved to, at some point in the future, take a picture of one of my watches next to a York Peppermint Patty, so I can list it as "near mint".
Sounds like a realistic approach to me. And you'll be able to eat the patty when you're through photographing. ;D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm going through a reduction right now and I hate to part with some of them but when the rent is due, you do what you have to. I would like to sell them to afford the sub or grand seiko but I have had the money before and again I was practical instead...............Bill

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
LOL!

I was just looking at a FS post "elsewhere" and the guy does declare that the polished areas of the bracelet were changed to a bushed finish yet he still rates the watch 90-95%.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts