The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't wear any of my watches now because I have watch rash .This is caused by the skin not getting air under the watch. Has anyone ever heard of this before ? I am thinking that maybe I should buy a pocket watch to use in such instances.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Bracelets or straps? Try a tropic or NATO strap, which lifts the watch off the skin?

·
Registered
28,401 Posts
Did your doctor give as a cause "air not getting under the watch"? Could there be an allergic reaction to the particular type of metal in the watch?

·
Special Member
1,319 Posts
Try wearing the watch on your other wrist and see if rash develops... could be some sort of contact dermatitis.

Mike

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Non quite a rash related issue here but I had a midge bite last April exactly where the strap sits and couldn't wear any watch for more than an hour or so as my wrist would itch like mad until this winter. Never got on with rubber diver straps so will never use them again now. Oddly I hate having a watch on my right wrist.
This seriously affected my attitude to watches in that I wasn't interested in searching for any, so bought nothing (a good thing because I'd a long history of buying fixer uppers that weren't too good).
Also made me very much more aware that many don't and won't get worn anymore so some really should go.
Eased back into wearing now by using nato straps, good job I quite like them. Favourite is stainless oyster type bracelets so I can wear my cushion case 7548 quartz mod at last.
I always felt undressed without a watch and now it feels odd readjusting to wearing one full time again. :undecided:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bracelets or straps? Try a tropic or NATO strap, which lifts the watch off the skin?

The rash was located under the watch. It cleared up within an hour but I am still going to give it a day or two rest. It is best to wear the watch not too tight and adjust it to be loose on the wrist.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Non quite a rash related issue here but I had a midge bite last April exactly where the strap sits and couldn't wear any watch for more than an hour or so as my wrist would itch like mad until this winter. Never got on with rubber diver straps so will never use them again now. Oddly I hate having a watch on my right wrist.
This seriously affected my attitude to watches in that I wasn't interested in searching for any, so bought nothing (a good thing because I'd a long history of buying fixer uppers that weren't too good).
Also made me very much more aware that many don't and won't get worn anymore so some really should go.
Eased back into wearing now by using nato straps, good job I quite like them. Favourite is stainless oyster type bracelets so I can wear my cushion case 7548 quartz mod at last.
I always felt undressed without a watch and now it feels odd readjusting to wearing one full time again. :undecided:

Yes, I am the same as well, feeling "undressed without a watch"

During the time that you didn't wear your watches, did you ever consider getting a pocket watch ?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try wearing the watch on your other wrist and see if rash develops... could be some sort of contact dermatitis.

Mike

It would feel very strange wearing it on my other wrist because I have always worn it on my left wrist.

·
Registered
52 Posts
During the summer, I alternate between wearing on the left and on the right, in order to prevent the watch strap tan. It felt weird at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like either you have developed an allergy to the case back material, or you wear the watch too tight perhaps?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No I didn't I (like most of the world now) just looked at my phone.

Yes, I know that these cell phones have not been good for the watch industry. Especially for the younger generation that have grown up with the phones and have never needed to own a wrist watch. However it is quicker and more convenient to look at a watch than to take out a phone to see the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts