The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help me--- I recently bought a watch making kit -Watch kit OFFICIAL GENEVA No. 1 PILOT for beginners! I seem to be failing miserably at the 1st hurdle!

The kit does not come with any instruction or labelling of items ! Most items are obvious but I'm really struggling with basics! Even the watch book Watch repair for beginners 2014 (recommended by the company that sold me the kit) jumps in at a much higher level and their diagrams don't help me identify exactly how I should place the dial on the movement. Perhaps a movement diagram of Miyota 8215 will help?

Anyways-- the movement is so much smaller than the dial, I cannot locate how i attach the dial feet --- I've hunted on the internet and can't find any guidance! I'm assuming they align at the movement edge but don't want to damage the feet at the 1st hurdle! I attach a picture so perhaps someone can help point me in the right direction In addition, there is another part that looks like an additional stem (it came in a pot with the hands etc.), its in the centre of the picture - am I right here?

Please help :)

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi ---seems i might have worked it out-- by aligning the stem at 3 o clock -- it looks like the dial feet align on one side into a grove (no screw this side--unless it is missing!) The opposite foot seems to fit snugly where there is a screw on the side of the movement- although I don't see that tightening of the screw is holding the movement to the face. But certainly they seem to fit together now.

Am I supposed to fit the movement ring plastic next to the back of the movement ? or the movement ring metal ?

Cheers
mr T

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well hello welcome to the forum...well from what i see....the movement should fit on the dial..and the metal spacer should fit the case you have..the plastic spacer should fit in between the movement and the large spacer...do you have a model number of the kit you bought?...or better pics of everything you got?....God Bless John..i am sure we will be able to get you up and going...these can be very tricky to start off with...with the pins..most movements will have small screws to hold the dial in place...make sure you have it clocked properly...most dials will only fit one way..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Watch making kit with Miyota 8215- help !

Hi thanks for your reply :D

The kit was bought from watchtool.de

It look's like one of the set screws is missing? Unless you are supposed to secure only with one! -see attached. Also the current parts I am using are shown. I'm not sure if I attach the hands next onto the dial or put in place the plastic and metal spacer 1st before the hands?

It does feel a little like a 'black art' 1st time but as you say I am sure it will get easier!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Well thank you for the better pics...you are missing a screw...they might be the same as a seiko or citizen...might you have any old movements laying around?...if not let me know...i should have a few...well the hands should be the last thing you install..and be very careful with the dial to make sure you do not scratch it...very thin plastic or cardboard will work to protect it while you install the hands...just make it look like this ..you can buy pre made ones..they are expensive...they should look like this...i believe the plastic movement holder should go on next and then the metal spacer ....you can not install the hands until you get the dial secured down...i like your project....should be a very nice watch to start with...love to see more pics as you go along...God Bless John...please let me know if i can help

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great tips :) Yep I thought there was a screw missing! Unfortunately, as this is my 1st attempt I don't have any spares or other movements--- I guess I could look on eBay or someone where similar if I know the right size. I live in the UK so it's most probably a pain to send from the USA ! Definitely nice little project, i think I will take it slow to get the right parts so that I do it right!

Cheers
Mr T

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well lets see if i can get a screw...where are you located?...do you have any local watch shops near you?...and it is always best to take your time on watches...something that nice you want it to be right and last...any local watch shop should have what you need...pm if you can not find anything....God Bless John

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Re the extra stem,
The stem that is in the movement is just to keep the clutch wheel in situ and to set the movement when you install the hands, it probably has a plastic crown. The seperate stem is the correct one for the finished watch and there should be a steel crown in the package somewhere.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi there-- I'm in the UK - Reading. I have watch repair shows in the town-- is there a set size I should ask for this movement? I can see M0.8 case mounting screw 20pcs for Miyota 8200 8205 8215 9015 movement but I don't think this is the same thing? I've searched for 'set screw' but to no avail.

Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, thanks for confirming-- I did think it was another stem. I had read in some cases you have to cut the stem to size, however given this is a beginner's set I've assumed this is already the right size and then I can screw the crown on the end (which I have in the package).

Why do I need to set the movement when i install? I was guessing that I only wind the watch after I have installed the hands--otherwise as soon as I drop the hour hand I would have thought that it would start moving. I was thinking I shouldn't have any movement when I install the hands? Is this right?

As you can see I have a lot to learn-- but it's quite enjoyable :)

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Well it is to time the watch...you need to know when it is at midnight..ok..this is how i was told...when you remove the hands off a watch...always turn then to midnight just as the date is changing...and when you put them back on..you want them in the same place too...it makes sense too...you are doing great....what i would do it take the movement with you and see if they have any...just a few extra's just in case you drop one too...it is very rewarding to take parts and make them into something too and i love to take old unloved broken ones and make them new again...God Bless John

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
hey if you need anything...please just ask..i am glad to help...God Bless John

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Ivor...you know him...

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
It appears not John, though i do know an Andrew Turner who now lives in Reading and is a motor mechanic.

Cars are easier than watches Andrew, and just as expensive when you really get into them:grin:

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well cars can be a lot of fun...but very expensive

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
just take your time with the watch..you will get it..

1 - 20 of 68 Posts