The Watch Site banner

Watch habits while travelling?

3K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  Thesharkman 
#1 ·
I'm on my way to the east coast for a 9-day trip with extended family. I got to packing, and chose these 6 watches for my travel case.

(if not obvious, Brown Bullhead, 6138-3002, Pogue, 6217 World Timer, 6105-800X, and Sumo)

And this Arnie on the wrist...

The wife's reaction was 1) "why so many???" and 2) "why such valuable ones?!?" Which got me wondering... do other folks share my nearly-watch-a-day travel habit? I don't really switch my watches more than once a week at home, but whenever I go places - at least if I'm seeing friends, family, etc. - I have this urge to make sure I have lots of watches to share about if asked.

I also realized these examples aren't at all a representative sample of my 200+ Seiko collection - probably they're just the most "neat" to a non-Seiko person. When I'm home, my-go to watch is a 6146 GS, but I never even thought of bringing that along, nor any of the 30+ pre-1970 dress Seikos I own. I also instantly rejected anything I own that isn't on an original band, even though that's probably half my collection.

So... what're your habits?

See less See more
#10 ·
You know some Filipino friends of mine said to me one day, what watch are you wearing today at work and I showed them the Polprof, they laughed at me and said if you come to the fillipines they will take your hand off with a machette and steal your watch.

Very scary so I would wear a GShock or something similar.

Cheers
Mark

#11 ·
Funny you should ask.

We're off on holiday tomorrow and I can only take two watches, so decided to go for these two:

I'm not really a diver type WIS, but I couldn't bring myself to take one of my nice dress watches in case it gets damaged or nicked. (That statement could get me lynched :grin:).

Last year I took the SKX and my Pogue and did a time test over the week. The Pogue won ! I may do the same this time too.

#27 ·
Well, sounds like I'm definitely in the minority with my 7-pack, but not by far. Glad to hear it. In this case, I feel enabled by the wife, who despite asking why I brought so many is the person who gifted me that travel case...

Hah, one of those quirks of the English language... I meant "share" in the sense of "tell about." I'd gladly loan them to my company to wear, but doubt anyone would be interested. I'm in Nantucket, so I also felt compelled to counter the omnipresence of overpriced swiss showpieces on gazillionaire's wrists....

#18 ·
Always a tough decision, especially when I go for a 2-week trip. I always throw a G-shock in for the gym and "questionable" roaming, typically wear a Rolex Submariner or GMT, and throw a Seiko into an Oakley watch case. I make in-room safes my friend or carry all with me at all times.

The problem lately when I go to HK or Japan is that I end up bringing more home than I brought! I guess that's a good problem, though!

#22 · (Edited)
Well Folks,
I hope we don't hear about another ..... " Watch Theft " on the ..... " SCWF Forum " again, because
we have been there ....... " Already more then Several Times ", from what I have read since
being on this Forum.

" Many have been told so many times already ".:72::96:

You better watch those X-ray guy's real good, they are professional pick pocket ( Luggage ) guy's.
Why is there have to be so many taken ? One watch will do, except its very important to take Two.
Here the main problem was the Attendants at the X-ray had been ripping off people , they got them
but there are many more. They also were ... " Excessively Touching " to many people also.:57:
The Postal Service is no different, I had read some where about a guy that suppose to have gotten
a ........... ( 6105 Diver ) in the mail but all he got was a piece of ...... " " IRON " in the box.:72:
You better watch those Attendants as they (SIFT) through your luggage
when inspecting it. Also better watch those little (TRAY'S), as they go through the machine. :97:
" ONE BLINK " , and they will be ...... " GONE ".
Faster than the guy with ..... " The Machete ".:72:
But then to each their own, JM2Cents.

#23 ·
Personally I do not travel with more than one watch which is already on my wrist. And even that I avoid wearing expensive watches. Unless it's a business trip with important meet ups and dinners I'd probably bring along a more business presentable watch..

#25 · (Edited)
Depends on the trip.

Working in OZ for 3 months I took half dozen. Wore them all and wished I'd brought more. I even brought tools and did a full service on one....I know I'm sick.

Week trip to south of France traveling light so only took 2. 6105 Diver on the wrist the whole time with 7002 back up incase things got a little rough.

#32 ·
agree 100%. I never take more than one watch when I go anywhere, no matter the brand, no matter the length of the trip. that's just one less thing I have to worry about when I'm having to worry about making sure I'm meeting all the demands that travel thrusts upon me. =)

<* shark >>><

#31 ·
Last time I took my 007 with a quartz beater. Would add/substitute a 7005 dress watch if there would be meals out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.