The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my way to the east coast for a 9-day trip with extended family. I got to packing, and chose these 6 watches for my travel case.

(if not obvious, Brown Bullhead, 6138-3002, Pogue, 6217 World Timer, 6105-800X, and Sumo)

And this Arnie on the wrist...

The wife's reaction was 1) "why so many???" and 2) "why such valuable ones?!?" Which got me wondering... do other folks share my nearly-watch-a-day travel habit? I don't really switch my watches more than once a week at home, but whenever I go places - at least if I'm seeing friends, family, etc. - I have this urge to make sure I have lots of watches to share about if asked.

I also realized these examples aren't at all a representative sample of my 200+ Seiko collection - probably they're just the most "neat" to a non-Seiko person. When I'm home, my-go to watch is a 6146 GS, but I never even thought of bringing that along, nor any of the 30+ pre-1970 dress Seikos I own. I also instantly rejected anything I own that isn't on an original band, even though that's probably half my collection.

So... what're your habits?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
The maximum number of watches I take with me is 2. Lot less to worry about when concentrating on other activities especially during vacation!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
A man after my own heart. I almost always travel with 6 + 1 on the wrist. I figure things can be stolen at home just as easily as on the road and I prefer to have some choice each day.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I take an atomic watch always as a benchmark. From there it depends on the nature of the trip and length. Anywhere from 2 to 4.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I take at least two, but never more than three. I figure I can wear a different one for a few days, and then repeat the cycle :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You know some Filipino friends of mine said to me one day, what watch are you wearing today at work and I showed them the Polprof, they laughed at me and said if you come to the fillipines they will take your hand off with a machette and steal your watch.

Very scary so I would wear a GShock or something similar.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Funny you should ask.

We're off on holiday tomorrow and I can only take two watches, so decided to go for these two:

I'm not really a diver type WIS, but I couldn't bring myself to take one of my nice dress watches in case it gets damaged or nicked. (That statement could get me lynched :grin:).

Last year I took the SKX and my Pogue and did a time test over the week. The Pogue won ! I may do the same this time too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For me, allways 3 (in a "marmotte") + 1 on my wrist.
Usually 2 quartz (my SBCM023 as reference + a vintage one) and 2 vintage mechanical (1 casual, 1 dressier).
Generally, it takes me almost 2 days each time I travel to choose :)))

Cheers,
Mathieu

·
Registered
34 Posts
For most travel its only one watch. Either my skx-009 or 6309 -7290, I'll only add a second watch if Im going somewhere I would be need to be dressed up for.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Holidays - one. Usually a rugged diver. A good excuse to buy a watch if that one does not do the job!

Business - two. One that suits the purpose of the trip and one fo the actual travel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wait a minute you share your watches with others! You are a man among men. Awesome! Went vacation in June took 4 with me and I wore a different one every day. Figured I needed a vacation and so did they. Godfather,be my friend.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Always a tough decision, especially when I go for a 2-week trip. I always throw a G-shock in for the gym and "questionable" roaming, typically wear a Rolex Submariner or GMT, and throw a Seiko into an Oakley watch case. I make in-room safes my friend or carry all with me at all times.

The problem lately when I go to HK or Japan is that I end up bringing more home than I brought! I guess that's a good problem, though!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You know some Filipino friends of mine said to me one day, what watch are you wearing today at work and I showed them the Polprof, they laughed at me and said if you come to the fillipines they will take your hand off with a machette and steal your watch.

Very scary so I would wear a GShock or something similar.

Cheers
Mark

Ouch! Haha

When I'm with something flashy, I turn them upside down when in shady places. Can't be too sure of people nowadays :)

John

1 - 20 of 32 Posts