The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
30,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoy seeing projects, mod and restorations both vintage and modern coming together successfully :) and like others apart from looking at other guy (girls) endeavours i like to post my efforts as well but..............

Do you ever have any disasters or total failures which you keep to your self and just go away and cry for a little before starting on your next one ? :'(

I know i have had more than my share over time and i am sure i will have more (unfortunately ??? )

ps: On the positive side failed projects are great for increasing the spares in your box :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Whelp, a recent bay "find", seller's pic:

The dial looked less pristine in person - checking it out, it seemed like the whole dial was covered in a thin veneer of oil... perhaps someone had fired a shot of WD-40 into the case to loosen things up?

Anyhow nothing would touch the mess until I tried isopropanol - which turned out not to be such a good idea - as soon as it touched the lovely "Automatic 23 Jewels" lettering, it vanished completely leaving absolutely no trace, all gone. And the tiny little LM logo popped right off. It's sitting in a small plastic container right now while I decide what to do next.

The 5606 movement seems to work fine including quick-set and I really like the square steel look, but I'm a bit of a purist and feel kinda weird about have a nice LM that just says "Seiko" on the face. Guess I could try gluing the LM back at least... dunno, the whole experience has been slightly depressing.

·
Registered
688 Posts
No big failed projects, but I was trying to free a stuck movement in a Seiko 5 once when it jumped 6 inches out of the watch and fell upside down on my desk, tweaking the hands. That sucked. :)

And I thought I was being gentle....... :eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Found the rare helmet 6138-0010 with a brilliant blue dial which had turned purple in some spots. Brought the watch home and put it on the bench. Didnt bother turning on the work light (dont ask me why) and started "gently" cleaning the dial. Turns out i rubbed off a good amount of dial paint all but destroying spots.

That put me off DIYs for a bit.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I once broke the crystal of my 7002 diver when I tried to push it out using the press. Lesson learnt, use the correct press head and align carefully before pressing. Good news is, I got spare 7002 with complete parts except for the crystal. ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Trying to polish a Hardlex 6139 crystal with a dremel :D

Tigers seen the complete and utter foul up that I made of it :))

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I tried that too ONCE. Also on a 6139. It wasn't pretty.....`

catflem said:
Trying to polish a Hardlex 6139 crystal with a dremel :D

Tigers seen the complete and utter foul up that I made of it :))

·
Registered
547 Posts
I had this Poljot Aviator that was working fine, but had a small speck of lint on the dial. I just had to remove that lint, I thought. So I opened up the case - slipping and putting a scratch on the case back in the process - and took the movement out. I got rid of the offending lint and got ready to reassemble everything. Unfortunately, something in the crown/stem area had slipped out of place when I removed that. I've been told it was probably the keyless works, although as a true shade tree mechanic, I have no idea what that is. Anyway, the crown would not reseat properly. I never could get the watch back together and working. Ended up selling for parts for about $10, IIRC.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts