The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like we're starting school back in September and I will likely have to interact with about 1500 fourteen to sixteen year-olds on a daily basis again in an area where things are hardly under control. For a watch, I'm assuming that I should be wearing something all metal, including a bracelet so it can be cleaned regularly (thus excluding all of my favorite vintage watches...). I have a Seiko 5 that fits the bill, but it's only 30m water resistant - will it be able to cope with soap and spraying sink water? Would a 100m watch or 200m diver be needed? Thinking about a cheap Orient Ray ii.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Please DON'T clean your watch in hot / warm water. The lower density of the heated water is more likely to get past the seals.

Good luck dealing with yoof ;-)

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
a 200m G-Shock - washed with cool water and a soap? Rock solid, lots of styles to choose from and inexpensive.

Reactions: zeke441

·
Registered
25 Posts
For stainless you can use rubbing alcohol with a cotton ball. Wiping down the surfaces without saturating any joints.

I don’t know what it would do to AR coatings or vinyl straps.

I’ve use spray eyeglass cleaner before because it’s gentle enough for coated lenses and it doesn’t leave a residue.

·
Registered
424 Posts
a Seiko 5 (with new gaskets and a good case without corrosion and pitting on the sealing surfaces) can withstand hand washing with soap but you'll have to get the gaskets checked/replaced at shorter intervals than usual (as a precautionary measure).
Or grab a DW-5600E and call it a day! If the black bezel and strap discolour due to alcohol based hand sanitiser, you can replace it with new ones yourself!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone - I'm a little embarrassed that I forgot about the G-Shock. I'll admit that I wasn't looking forward to the weight of a diver / bracelet combo, so I think the Casio will do nicely (especially w/ a $10 Amazon coupon burning a hole in my pocket...)

·
Registered
109 Posts
You'll soon grow to love the additional functionality of a modern digital watch. I bought a G-shock recently as my first digital watch since I was 10 years old, after managing to convince myself that solar power with radio time sync was something that needed to be added to the collection. Without having to worry about getting it wet or banging into things, I wear mine to work and use the stopwatch and timer every day.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Thanks everyone - I'm a little embarrassed that I forgot about the G-Shock. I'll admit that I wasn't looking forward to the weight of a diver / bracelet combo, so I think the Casio will do nicely (especially w/ a $10 Amazon coupon burning a hole in my pocket...)
G-Shocks are awesome - can't go wrong. (y)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Please DON'T clean your watch in hot / warm water. The lower density of the heated water is more likely to get past the seals.

Good luck dealing with yoof ;-)
Does the infinitesimal difference in the density really matter here?

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you wear a tie and blazer to school, then a G shock won't match. An SKX on a bracelet would work, but I regularly wear my Sumo and Samurai on their OEM bracelets to work. And as they are both blue, they match with most suit and tie combinations.

All the best,

Neel

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Neel - with the mess we're in right now, it will be (easily washable) business casual at most.

·
Registered
23 Posts
An Atomic Solar G-Shock is the perfect solution for the criteria you've outlined. It's very nearly indestructible, doesn't need periodic battery replacement, and updates itself from the nearest time signal in the middle of the night. Mine is a true beater that's been thoroughly thrashed and doesn't show any of the abuse. I occasionally have to put mine in a window if it's not updating the time sync in the middle of the house (this varies by time of year). I also have to ensure it gets some light periodically. These can't live in the dark under shirt sleeves, and then in a box at night. I keep mine under a kitchen LED light panel. You cannot put one of these, or a Citizen, Orient or Seiko solar directly under a hot incandescent unless there is some distance to keep it from being overheated by the incandescent bulb. Close to a fluorescent or LED isn't generally an issue if they don't get hot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts