The Watch Site banner

So... now that Orient has upgraded the movement in the 300m pro diver to hacking & handwinding,

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I'm pissed, to say the least. I already have the japanese black dial version, the US market orange dial version, and has just bought the black dial US version. Grrrrrrrrrrrr....... :mad:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Regardless of hack/handwinding or not, it's one heck of a watch. You gotta hold one in your hands to get the feeling of it and thorough appreciate it, seriously. I love all of mine. 8)
IMO they are gonna sell like hotcakes, provided ORIENT doesn't jack up its price a la Seiko. :(

Now I can even see them matching the MM in sales numbers.

Nice move for Orient.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
I gave Neil's a test drive over Christmas and i thought the size and the quality of it was superb, but.............one MAJOR problem as far as i was concerned, why did they do the dial upside down and IMO ruin the look, sorry just my opinion i could not get over the feeling and most times i took it off i went to put it on the wrong way round.
Rubbish picture taken with a cell phone :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks right side up in that photo to me. ;-)

I think it's a snappy watch, and deserves the hacking/handwinding movement. But it still seems a little dear to me... They don't feel like they're worth $1,000 more than a Sumo (my current value-for-money benchmark).

Cheers - Jeff

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
so what's the story behind the movement? is it another adapted seiko caliber or is it something original from the orient stable?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Found this on the blog too, I think it is a sweeeet looking Seiko. The new Brightz diver. For some reason, maybe its the edge of the bezel, I find it oddly reminiscent of the 5717 one button chrono..

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The MSRP is only about $115 USD more than the previous model. I don't think that's so bad.

The same movement is also used in the new models of the Orient Star Classic.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
FINALLY!!!

I love the style of these but it was a stupid price for a watch with the basic Orient PR movement.

I'll be picking one of these up once they start appearing used, for sure.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Well done to Orient for upgrading the movt without charging an extra arm and a leg :)

I just might get the new version if i have the funds AND get over the case design which just reminds me of an SKX on 'roids :-[

It would be great if seiko can make a beefier version of the MM. Now THAT one will be on the top of the list!

·
Registered
496 Posts
badern said:
Well done to Orient for upgrading the movt without charging an extra arm and a leg :)

I just might get the new version if i have the funds AND get over the case design which just reminds me of an SKX on 'roids :-[

It would be great if seiko can make a beefier version of the MM. Now THAT one will be on the top of the list!

^-^ Badern,
I'm glad you're posting again buddy ;)

Agree 98% :D :D :D

One of the reasons I like the OS300m is that the case, especially the crown guard, looks like a SKX on roids. At 40mm the SKX is to small for my taste.

Like the Omega PO 42mm & XL 45.5mm I too wish Seiko would have that option for the Marine Master.

Looks like the "New" OS300m just took the #1 spot on the short list 8)

Cheers
Shannon

·
Registered
336 Posts
If they only upgraded the movement to a hacking handwinding caliber then I'll just stick to my old one...in all it's toolness these traits suit it perfectly and provide better reliability due to the less moving parts...if on the other hand they used an extensively upgraded movement (say an undecorated Royal Orient movement) then I will add the yellow one to the collection :)

I also don't really like the Skinny looking OS logo on the new one..I prefer the old logo, but that's just a small detail. Also could it be the case that they added a proper signed crown (not laser engraved)?

I dont agree with the SKX on roids idea...the Seiko SKX case is absolutely no match for the Orient's case. Crown is situated at 4 o clock properly, screws down buttery smooth with lots of thread, has a much better crown design, much nicer brushed finish, better polishing, straight lugs, thick bezel, screw down crystal, beautiful caseback...need I go on :)) ?

I think the shape of the case does look like a Breitling, but an SKX...no way...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I know what you mean about the skx divers. I now find them too small and thin for my liking. Guess I have been spoiled by my tunas.
Though I still love my MM even if it's not that much bigger than a skx, the overall design and quality more than makes up for it.

Am glad to be posting too. :-*. (I am actually doing this on my iPhone with my baby girl next to me :))

spring-diver said:
^-^ Badern,
I'm glad you're posting again buddy ;)

Agree 98% :D :D :D

One of the reasons I like the OS300m is that the case, especially the crown guard, looks like a SKX on roids. At 40mm the SKX is to small for my taste.

Like the Omega PO 42mm & XL 45.5mm I too wish Seiko would have that option for the Marine Master.

Looks like the "New" OS300m just took the #1 spot on the short list 8)

Cheers
Shannon

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Looks like a Breitling? Now that is one description that I like and just maybe overcome my 'skx on roids' misconception 8)
Thanks for your quick rundown of the plus points of the OS 300m. Will try to arrange a meet up with a local wis to view his OS ;)

buddy13 said:
If they only upgraded the movement to a hacking handwinding caliber then I'll just stick to my old one...in all it's toolness these traits suit it perfectly and provide better reliability due to the less moving parts...if on the other hand they used an extensively upgraded movement (say an undecorated Royal Orient movement) then I will add the yellow one to the collection :)

I also don't really like the Skinny looking OS logo on the new one..I prefer the old logo, but that's just a small detail. Also could it be the case that they added a proper signed crown (not laser engraved)?

I dont agree with the SKX on roids idea...the Seiko SKX case is absolutely no match for the Orient's case. Crown is situated at 4 o clock properly, screws down buttery smooth with lots of thread, has a much better crown design, much nicer brushed finish, better polishing, straight lugs, thick bezel, screw down crystal, beautiful caseback...need I go on :)) ?

I think the shape of the case does look like a Breitling, but an SKX...no way...

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
nhoJ said:
The MSRP is only about $115 USD more than the previous model. I don't think that's so bad.

The same movement is also used in the new models of the Orient Star Classic.

Yes indeed, they use the caliber 40N50A also used in the dress Orient Star EL series. I view the 40N50A in the same vein as the Seiko 6r15. A "workhorse" movement used in both, dress and dive watch applications.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts