The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm putting together an outline for an upcoming article I'll write on vintage late 60's-70's, 70m sport divers (6106, 6119, 5126 and 7xxx) and would love some assistance with the following questions:

- is the 6106-8100 the commonly acknowledged first sport diver?

I'll focus (in the first article ;) ) on the nickname pieces...here's what I have, please chime in if I'm missing any:

- Rally Divers
- UFO's
- Sushi Rolls
- the "Gene Kranz"
- the first "Orange Diver"
- "poor man's 62mas"

Am I missing any other "famous" sports divers? I know there are others without a nickname and I'll get to them later.

Thanks for your input...I'll be sure to reference the forum!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
3,874 Posts
I'd say that the 6106-8100 is one of the first sport divers. I have a couple that date to 68'. The 5106 series is also one of the first in the sport diver line up. I think the UFO's, Sushi's, and Rallys follow next in line. I have several that date to 69'.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I can't add any information but I'm excited to hear you're writing them up. I always enjoy your pieces Mike.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't add any information but I'm excited to hear you're writing them up. I always enjoy your pieces Mike.

Thanks! ...these are my favorite Seikos so I'm excited. :)

·
Craftsman
3,874 Posts
Thanks! ...these are my favorite Seikos so I'm excited. :)

So where's all the photos MIke?............:)

As you'll soon see, they're one of my favorites too........

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
i love them all....

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys!

The photos will be in the article. :)

For the first article, I'll inly focus on the nickname pieces I mentioned in my original post and the first...the 6106-8100. I'll cover the others in a follow-up.

Amazingly, I own almost all those in your pics in one color or another... @SeikoPsycho2 which is scary!!!

Could be a long article indeed!!

One question...the first pair you show are commonly called rally divers but many feel they are not. Where does everyone stand?

Mike

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here are the heavy hitters...

I did not make this chart, I believe I found it on this forum. I've been collecting as many pics and other references for my 6159-7010 and this was part of that info package.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the heavy hitters...

I did not make this chart, I believe I found it on this forum. I've been collecting as many pics and other references for my 6159-7010 and this was part of that info package.

Thanks...these are the professionals. I'm going to focus on the 70m sports pieces for this one. Yes, I'm "diving" into very specific nerdery. ;)

·
Craftsman
3,874 Posts
From my understanding the first two I pictured are sport divers. Rally divers are so named because of the checkered bezel. The rest are sport divers.

I'm way behind on my photo taking. I have collected most of all the colors of sport + rally divers with just a few exceptions.

·
Registered
708 Posts
From my understanding the first two I pictured are sport divers. Rally divers are so named because of the checkered bezel. The rest are sport divers.

I'm way behind on my photo taking. I have collected most of all the colors of sport + rally divers with just a few exceptions.
(unsurprisingly) I agree with this as well. It seems logical that the checkered bezel might be an homage to a checkered flag.

·
Craftsman
3,874 Posts

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
very beautiful watch Chevere

1 - 17 of 17 Posts