The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Seiko was my dad's:

If I'm not mistaken he bought it by the end of '77 or beginning of '78, and as you can see, was not very kind to it. He wore it daily for many years, to the point of breaking the bracelet. Since he's a tool guy (like me, or at least I try to follow his footsteps) he even attempted to fix it, and though it may not look good, it did work and he was able to keep wearing the watch for many years more.

Being from my father I would love to restore it, but I really don't know if it's doable. When he stopped wearing it was working, and after the battery died he removed it and kept the watch in a drawer for more then a decade. Assuming it still works, what do you guys think, can I make it look good again? And the important part, would I be able to find a bracelet to replace the original one, that at least looks like the stock one? If the watch isn't working, what are the odds of getting a replacement for the movement or maybe getting it fixed?

I don't know zilt about this watch, so I honestly don't have the foggiest if a restoration job can be done.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
I think the key here is for you to either be able to source out OEM replacement parts (highly unlikely) or find a "donor" module from a similar watch. the crystal, case and bracelet likely can be restored to good as new condition.

Sadly, most of these watches saw rough service life spans and it is doubtful you can find pristine samples surviving to this day. But, since the watch has great sentimental value to you, embarking in this project may be well worth it and highly rewarding. ;)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bracelet I think is a lost cause, since my dad drilled the end link, so I would have to get a totally new one. I have to pop in a battery to see how the module is holding up, and if it's ok, my only problem would be the bracelet. I looked on eBay and found one just like my dad's and in very nice shape for a BIN price of $435 (!!!).

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I have a few vintage digitals.
They usually only require a new battery, and they spring back to life.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Check out Jules Borel, it looks like you can get just about everything you need, including the crystal ($23.40) and the band ($51.40).

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
If the module and display still work, then restoring the rest is definitely doable, and several of the guys here on the board can help you restore it back to chery. The bracelet, however, is a piece you might have to source from a donor, as I think that little link is nod supposed to be restored.

·
Registered
845 Posts
http://www.julesborel.com

You will have to set up an account to access their online database, or you can just give them a phone call.

Here is a cut and paste of what they say they have available for your watch. Sorrry, but the formatting gets lost when I do this.

WATCH MATERIAL PARTS LIST
[/t]
[/t]
A039-5000
[tr] [td]
[td]
[td][/td][td][/td][td] SEIKO CASE REFERENCE [/td]
[tr] [td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td] [/td]
[tr] [td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td] [/td][/tr]
[/t][/t][/t]
[/td][/tr] [tr] [td]
DESCRIPTION
[td]ALTERNATE #[/td] [td]PRICE (1)[/td] [td]PRICE (3)[/td] [td]Add to Order[/td] [tr] [td]
10.60 8.50 Add to Order
[/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] [FJH]BAND [/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] BATTERY HATCH
14.00 11.50 Add to Order
[/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] CRYSTAL X-
CRY-407023.40 18.90 Add to Order
[/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] GASKET, SEIKO
G283-4105.30 3.80 Add to Order
[/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] GRNQWLI]Add to Order[/td][/tr] [tr] [td] Add to Order[/td][/tr] [tr] [td] GASKET, HATCH (USE 011340B0A)
G283-3065.30 3.80 Add to Order
[/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] GASKET, HOLDING SEIKO
7.50 5.80 Add to Order
[/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] LIQUID CRYSTAL PANEL
X/760749.50 49.50 Add to Order
[/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] PANEL COVER
0.00 0.00 Add to Order
0.00 0.00 Add to Order
0.00 0.00 Add to Order
[/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] PUSHBUTTON, WHITE
9.90 8.10 Add to Order
[/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] PUSHBUTTON, WHITE
9.90 8.10 Add to Order
[/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] REFLECTING MIRROR
X/759510.10 8.00 Add to Order
[/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] SETTING SWITCH SPRING
X/75865.70 4.10 Add to Order
[/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] SNAP RING
7.50 5.80 Add to Order
[/t][/td][/tr] [tr] [td] SPRING BAR
A200WSDiscontinued - Use A200CS
[/t][/td][/tr]
[/td][/tr]

[/td][/tr]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link, Aladin!
I managed to register, I think (at least it shows my name and address), but I can't log on, so I can't do any searches :(.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally! Now it's working! I was doing the search in the wrong place, now I could find your list. A shame though that they don't show pics of the parts, I would like to see that band before ordering.

But now I'm way more excited about this, knowing that at least there is a chance of me getting the parts needed, specially the band. I'll leave work a little early today to go to a watch repair shop, where I will try to find a battery. If the watch fires up I'm in business :).

·
Registered
845 Posts
I made a similar rehab project out of a Citizen Crystron that my mother gave to my father in the late 1970's. I was able to get a new crystal/bezel combo for that watch from Jules Borel, and it now looks like new again.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Looks like it's working fine, though the light button has some contact issues. It does light up, but not always, so the contact must be fixed or the button swapped. Now that I know that this is not a lost case, I'll get in touch with my watch guy and see if he has experience with old quartz watches - he's outstanding with automatics! If he can work on it, I'll send it to him (he's a state away from me) and then I'll order the parts that are needed. I only wish I could see a pic of that bracelet over at Borel...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts