The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I have a 1976 Seiko 0903-8110 which has proven to be a real labour of love, after obsessing over finding this particular model (love the dial). Replacing the standard crystal proved to take a lot of research but I got it done nicely in the end, but on reassembly the watch wouldn't run. Managed to find another very beat-up 0903 and swapped the movement easily, but now it seems to lose time irregularly.

On the wrist, off the wrist and different positions don't seem to matter. I'll check it a few times every day, might be fine for 1, 2, 3 days but then the next time I check it it has lost anywhere from a few seconds to 10 minutes. Replaced the battery, no change. The hands definitely are not rubbing - actually removed the minute and hour hand to be absolutely sure and the problem remains. Most recently I swapped in the coil from the original movement and no change.

Is it worth trying the circuit block from the other movement I have also, or combinations of the coils and circuit blocks? Or are these components a case of "they either work or they don't" rather than running poorly?

Failing that, I guess a cleaning and lubrication of the whole movement? Or another replacement movement if I can find one cheap.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I chased the same thing you are facing in a Seiko 7a28 movement. It ended up being a damaged step rotor.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Sometimes the rotor being magnetic attracts bits of metal and this will cause it to stall occasionally. A service will also ensure the gear train is free of old oil. Cleaning the contacts on the circuit board will also help as will cleaning the coil contacts carefully. You have two movements so open up one and have a go at servicing it. Take pictures and use this service sheet.
https://www.thewatchsite.com/d1/files/Seiko Technical Manuals/0903A.pdf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts