The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am a new member here, and unfortunately my first post is going to be a very sad one.

My late grandfather have passed on to me a beautiful, beautiful 70s Seiko 5. I have recently been involved in a motorcycle accident, during which the watch got completely wrecked (I came out lucky, barely a couple of scratches - but the watch is totaled).

I am completely heartbroken with losing this watch, it was a gift from my late grandfather which is very dear to me. Having to have witnessed this watch smashed was like having a piece of me crushed under a car.

Unfortunately I can't post links or pictures, but I uploaded some photos of the original watch and postmortem pictures to Dropbox here:
Code:
https://dropbox.com/sh/crt9pcztmmuti4m/AAAp_i7ZBXORgQ7M1jXa7N8_a?dl=0
This loss is agonizing to me, and even my mom was saddened by it. This watch is very dear to us. Now I am set out to find an identical watch, or parts to attempt to restore something out of it.

The movement is 7019. On the caseback it says 7019 7390. On the dial, it says JAPAN 7019 7530T. I have scoured the internet for identical/similar models. All I could find was replacement Day/Date dials. The bracelet was signed by Seiko, but I couldn't find the locking parts in the scene.

Any tips, leads and links would be highly appreciated. Also if you have this watch in any condition, and are willing to sell it, please PLEASE do let me know.

Thank you so much, Pilau.

·
Special Member
4,964 Posts
Good that you came out of that accident alive. The watch is not dead, it's just hurting! I would have it restored and keep the sign of the accident, so you are always reminded of the history connected to that watch.

So, new crystal - what about the hands, are they lost? Do you know if the movement still runs?

Maybe someone here knows a watchmaker in your vicinity who can help. A donor 7019 should not be that hard to come by.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Well welcome to the forum....glad to have you with us...i am sorry your watch is damaged but we will help get you back up and going...if you need help posting pics...just let me know..i will gladly help in any way i can..God Bless John
all we need to know is what is left of the old watch...anything that is salvageable?...

·
Special Member
1,939 Posts
Hi there. Sorry to hear about your accident, but at least you're ok.
Try contacting eBay seller seikoman35 in Australia. It looks like he had one for sale not long ago that didn't sell. Buy it now was $85AUD so perhaps $70US. Hopefully he still has it.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271347833953

The item number was 271347833953.

Perhaps you can restore yours with this one - using as many original parts as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
4,964 Posts
This forum is great! But "not so long ago" was Dec 22, 2013.... :grin:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your kind messages! You are breathing hope in my drowned spirit!

Post-accident pictures of the damage can be found in the dropbox link in my original post. jringo8769 - would you kindly help posting some of those pictures to this thread? Thanks.

Unfortunately I am highly doubtful the existing movement will continue to function... both the caseback and the dial are completely bent in... I think it got run over by someone during the ruckus. At least I was lucky didn't! The minute and second hand are also missing, the hour hand is there but bent in as well.

I have already contacted ebay seller seikoman35, he shared his enthusiasm to reach out to his sources in an attempt to find an identical model. He also mentioned this model dates from the late 70s which I had already known.

·
Special Member
7,680 Posts
I think the watch could be restored. A new crystal and hand set and taking the dial off, straightening it so that there were no mechanical interferences underneath, would probably get it back onto your wrist. The gouge on the case and the damaged dial would be a testament to your surviving the motorcycle crash.

Just a thought.

·
Special Member
4,964 Posts
Where are you located, pilau? Maybe we can send you in the direction of a forum-known watchmaker.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Currently I am working in Thailand, going back to Israel in 2 months...

Thank you Seikola for posting the pictures from my dropbox album!

I have also found a close up photo of an identical model in all its glory on photobucket:
s1368.photobucket.com/user/rl5453/media/IMG_8401_zpse1ca48df.jpg.html

These looks like they could be hand donors:
ebay.com/itm/111128170955
thewatchspot.co.uk/images/BlogImages/Large/4006-6031-2-3.jpg

The bracelet appears to be similar to 80s LCD watches! Perhaps my Grandpa's watch was modded!
goo.gl/Y1qtI9

·
Special Member
4,964 Posts
The 7019: yes. The Bellmatic: You cannot afford (and wouldn't want) that :grin:

Edit: I'm joking, of course. I do not know what you can afford and what not. But it would be a shame to harvest from such a nice 4006 Bell-Matic.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well that is very sad to hear and see that an item that had so much meaning to you was damaged. The crystal for the watch Seiko number 300T15ANSO has long been discontinued but Sternkreuz does make a reproduction. If you would like to keep you Seiko all Seiko I would donate a genuine Seiko 300T15ANSO to your cause if you decide to get it restored. If the movement is destroyed 7019 while not the most popular movement Seiko produced are not to hard to find. I have three spare used 7019 movements if you need help there too.
Also if you remove the band complete from the watch on the round end that the pin goes through there should be a short number stamped into it. This would help you find the exact band to replace it. I save broken bands just fop occasions like this when you only need just the clasp or an end link. I will help you out if I can.

Michael

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
well this is what makes this place great...i knew people here would help so much...what else do we need to find?....is the case needed?....looks like we got a movement and a crown and crystal....

·
Registered
931 Posts
Aloha pilau [that's a word in Hawaiian]... It does look like you can get that watch working again with a little TLC ....For starters I have a small stash of misc. parts ... I am pretty sure I have the same hands as your pics...short , squared off ends...PM me with your email address and we can see if I have anything you can use . We've ,[you , me, fellow members], gotta get that baby going again .

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ramon has 7019's out the yin-yang, try thewatchcollector on Ebay for donor parts.I've a small pile of leftover 7019's as well if you need anything, you can have it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Aloha pilau ... We've gotta get that baby going again .
You guys are amazing! All of you. Your feedback is very heartwarming. :)
Ricardo - I will PM you my e-mail, let's continue there.

Ramon has 7019's out the yin-yang, try thewatchcollector on Ebay for donor parts.
What do you say - I might have found replacement hands. What do you think - ebay item 131485424288 - The blue watch on the bottom left. Looks similar? On a second look - maybe they are shorter/thicker?
ShaikCorso - Expect a PM too.

But it would be a shame to harvest from such a nice 4006 Bell-Matic.
You are right! I wasn't familiar with that watch until now.

I would donate a genuine Seiko 300T15ANSO to your cause if you decide to get it restored.
I honestly and humbly appreciate your donation, this is very admirable of you. Yes, of course I will get it restored. Please also check your inbox!

Also if you remove the band complete from the watch on the round end that the pin goes through there should be a short number stamped into it.
The outer faces of both bracelet ends have "B201" stamped on them. Is that what you are talking about? (See last picture above).

Also, I repeat what I posted earlier: the bracelet appears to be similar to 80s LCD watches: goo.gl/Y1qtI9

Donor movement and possibly a seconds hand. [link]
That's a nice dial! Thanks!

I have a replacement 40M71NS crown I will donate to the cause.
Thank you thank you thank you!

what else do we need to find?....is the case needed?
Well, I think I have decided I would keep this case. It holds all the history of the watch, and now it has another notch on the belt. And a new story to tell. If it is possible to source another one, I will definitely get it and keep it as a backup. I will also try to fix the bracelet. I don't know what to do about the dial.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts