The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I have few of old seiko case that is corroded since the case was made from nickle/chrome coated brass.
Has anyone know anybody that can restore it? Fill the holes, shape it to the smooth correct shape then recoat it

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
The key is prepping the case. Sand, fine sand, polish the brass. The plating will not fill anything, not even fine hairline marks so be sure when you remove the plating and polish the brass it looks nice and shiny and smooth. The case I did I used a stainless steel paperclip to attach the case to the wire through the stem tube and around the inside like a casing spring so nothing touched the outside of the case. Anything plated in this fashion will tarnish during the process. After a couple hours I pulled the case out, cleaned off the tarnish with a chrome polish, then acetone, rinsed, and put it back in for another session with a fresh solution, do as many sessions as it takes to get a nice nickel finish. For the donor material I bought a roll of solid nickel strip used for electronics.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The key is prepping the case. Sand, fine sand, polish the brass. The plating will not fill anything, not even fine hairline marks so be sure when you remove the plating and polish the brass it looks nice and shiny and smooth. The case I did I used a stainless steel paperclip to attach the case to the wire through the stem tube and around the inside like a casing spring so nothing touched the outside of the case. Anything plated in this fashion will tarnish during the process. After a couple hours I pulled the case out, cleaned off the tarnish with a chrome polish, then acetone, rinsed, and put it back in for another session with a fresh solution, do as many sessions as it takes to get a nice nickel finish. For the donor material I bought a roll of solid nickel strip used for electronics.

Amazing DIY...congrats on your impressive nickel-plating work!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That is awesome Zeke!
Also thank you for the link

1 - 6 of 6 Posts