The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've occasionally seen pictures of old bracelets with "Seiko Japan" on the clasp. Does anyone know if they were original Seiko, or made by some other company?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I also always thought, hence my tapping into the community wisdom. They're pretty early, though, late 60's early '70s, although even that is not certain. Some imitation, I'm pretty sure , we all know what the originals look like.

·
Special Member
2,693 Posts
I have a few bracelets with the Seiko Japan clasps and also always thought they were AM or added on later. To my eye I always thought the stamping looked inferior but I do like seeing JAPAN on the clasp :)

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
I used to believe that they were knockoffs until last month when I bought a NOS bracelet stamped SEIKO JAPAN, still in its original 1970s' Seiko wrapper. I researched the stock number online and found that if these were actually manufactured by Seiko themselves, they were at least authorized by them and distributed through their supply chain to the customers as replacements. Unfortunately I didn't save the packaging that the bracelet came in, nor did I record my sources.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The text does look a bit off to me, i've always assumed after market when i see that but i suppose the after market manafacturers must have been copying a seiko bracelet in the first place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts