The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything I'm missing on this one? Does it look legitimate? Any red flags?

"One of a kind in its like new state! Pre-owned, but hardly used. The photos do not hardly do the blue dial justice. Practically (NOS) new old stock. It bears the original band for its model 4006-6031 and was manufactured in August 1971. All parts and functions fully operational including the accurate Automatic movement, bell sounding Alarm function, and date function, and rarer still, the lumibrite function in the dark. Compare with others for sale, and you can see the quality. There are many available for a low price, but this is in its original state and untouched."

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Case looks like it's been refinished too me rather than a genuine hardly used watch. Strap is called a coffin strap I think but not sure if correct for that model. Seems to fit the case ok so I'd guess yay but as I say looks a bit too shiny for my liking! I am NOT a bellmatic expert in any shape or form but I am getting ok at spotting clean Seiko's.

Check this collection out and you will see some nice close up's of startsomething's 4006-6031 which is the same model.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/10-member-galleries/9689-my-seiko-collection.html

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You can see the metal finish is brushed in those photos of startsomethings lovely Bellmatic. In fact all startsomethings watches are bloody spot on and beautiful examples so if you want any watches as reference material you wont go wrong bookmarking that link I gave you :)

If in doubt do what you just did and ask as they are a nice bunch of guys on this forum and know their stuff!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You can see the metal finish is brushed in those photos of startsomethings lovely Bellmatic. In fact all startsomethings watches are bloody spot on and beautiful examples so if you want any watches as reference material you wont go wrong bookmarking that link I gave you :)

If in doubt do what you just did and ask as they are a nice bunch of guys on this forum and know their stuff!
Thank you! It's hard to tell in the photos if it's polished/refinished, I suspected too. If I receive it and it is, it's an eBay purchase. Send back? Dispute? What's the appropriate value on that watch? What's the easiest way to tell if it's refinished?

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
well it does look like it has had some work...i hope it is nice as they claim....great looking watch...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I'm very concerned... I got this response from the seller:

My boyfriend bought the watch in Madrid, Spain about a year ago. It was from an antique jewelry store, so we're not too sure about the polishing history. It appears to be in great condition, and all parts including the alarm is working well. When we posted the watch on eBay, we looked at other listings of the Bell-Matic, and there was no other in equal condition. We saw several listings of a few in the Philippines that had been refurbished/ or attempted to be. He showed me how the dials and the hands were in significantly different shape than the one we had. Those listed appeared to be constructed from several watches to make only one. He says that it appears that all parts of this watch are the original. While I can't guarantee the following statement, he has said that when you receive the watch in your hands, you will drool. :) Anyways, I have packed the watch today and we will send it tomorrow. Thank you so much for the business, fast payment, and I hope you enjoy the timepiece as much as he has.

That doesn't seem to match the description of "NOS" at all. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
If you want NOS or as near as dammit you will have a very difficult task. However the watch looks correct but I share Tony's reservations about it possibly having had some work done. If you do not mind that then it does look good as far as used 40 year old Bellmatics go.

The decider for me would be the price V's condition. Fingers crossed, I hope it pans out for you.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Watch

Ok not a PRO also . BUT .
When I magnify the first picture the LUG above the pusher, has
many scratch like individual marks ( More like light scratchs ).
Also the Bracelet at the 6 'o clock Lug to connect the case
and bracelet The brushing appears to be in three different
textures, I could be wrong, but its on a almost 50 inch TV
flat screen here. The actual factory textures are not like that
I would say. Like Tony I can not really be a real commenting one
on this watch, but it looks like it had a lot of (OFF )texture differences.
It has numerous brush applied ( passing marks ) as to say, but
I am not a case texture PRO in all this. But it is a beautiful watch
looking at it.
When using a rotary like tool the motions of the operator can change in each stroke of the machine I would say.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If you want NOS or as near as dammit you will have a very difficult task. However the watch looks correct but I share Tony's reservations about it possibly having had some work done. If you do not mind that then it does look good as far as used 40 year old Bellmatics go.

The decider for me would be the price V's condition. Fingers crossed, I hope it pans out for you.
:clap:

The key here is 40 year old watch :smiley: I have some lovely examples in my collection but if a watch has a few dings and such and the price reflected it when I brought it then what's the problem? For instance I brought a 6139-6000 series watch which was as close to NOS as it's possible to get but I paid twice what I would have for a nice 'used' example of the same watch :smiley: Then I watched one that was NOS go through on ebay for 4 times what I paid for my 'nearly' NOS example.

If however the chap is selling the watch as NOS or nearly NOS I would say he is a liar and I'd be very careful or give the watch a good test before you leave him any feedback. It's also worth giving it a good test to make sure it's keeping time before leaving any feedback. I tend to wait 2 days and wear the watch for those two days.

If you made your payment via PayPal then you have 6 months to get your money back even if they seller says no returns or states any other terms. This is even if you have left feedback so just keep that in mind!

Looks a nice condition watch that has had a bit of a clean up to me but then that said I've had a couple come through the door I have been disapointed with and one that was a total rip off which I didn't bother getting a refund on I just called it a mistake and a lesson and used it as spare parts :smiley: I would also not risk it being water resistant and take it off when you go for a swim, have a bath or shower or do the dishes until you have had it water proof tested :smiley:

One final word I am sure that box is for a Quartz watch and not a Bellmatic. I buy old Seiko boxes all the time for my watches and I don't care if they are the correct model but just so you know that's not that Bellmatics original box I am sure.

Enjoy these watches are fun!.... if not a tad addictive!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Great Advice given

The key here is 40 year old watch :smiley: I have some lovely examples in my collection but if a watch has a few dings and such and the price reflected it when I brought it then what's the problem? For instance I brought a 6139-6000 series watch which was as close to NOS as it's possible to get but I paid twice what I would have for a nice 'used' example of the same watch :smiley: Then I watched one that was NOS go through on ebay for 4 times what I paid for my 'nearly' NOS example.

If however the chap is selling the watch as NOS or nearly NOS I would say he is a liar and I'd be very careful or give the watch a good test before you leave him any feedback. It's also worth giving it a good test to make sure it's keeping time before leaving any feedback. I tend to wait 2 days and wear the watch for those two days.

If you made your payment via PayPal then you have 6 months to get your money back even if they seller says no returns or states any other terms. This is even if you have left feedback so just keep that in mind!

Looks a nice condition watch that has had a bit of a clean up to me but then that said I've had a couple come through the door I have been disapointed with and one that was a total rip off which I didn't bother getting a refund on I just called it a mistake and a lesson and used it as spare parts :smiley: I would also not risk it being water resistant and take it off when you go for a swim, have a bath or shower or do the dishes until you have had it water proof tested :smiley:

One final word I am sure that box is for a Quartz watch and not a Bellmatic. I buy old Seiko boxes all the time for my watches and I don't care if they are the correct model but just so you know that's not that Bellmatics original box I am sure.

Enjoy these watches are fun!.... if not a tad addictive!
Thats all correct too, we just enjoy the most out off them and keep
or not that what I see most are doing. Well there are those that say
they are sorry they got rid of them but there are many more out
there.
Good discussions getting good results. :72:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The brushing appears to be in three different
textures
I really noticed that too, I couldn't tell if it was just the camera flash.

Thank you for the additional info and advice! It was advertised as "nearly NOS" and "hardly worn". That seems a bit disingenuous when they don't know 42 years of the history of the watch!

Thank you all for the advice and feedback!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hey man no problem. I'm still learning and only just starting to realise a good watch when I see one! We've all made mistakes and will most likely make more. Better you learn by our mistakes than through your own I reckon! I brought a yellow T dial Pogue today for £85GBP which I think looks ok but only the postman will let me know if I was correct. I have either brought £85GBP worth of bargain or £85GBP worth of spares :)

**** I wish I had given myself that advice when I started collecting!

Mental note to self: Invent time machine and go and give myself a good talking too!

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
well just remember this..if you got it from ebay and paid thru paypal..he has to take it back if misrepresented too...with the new ebay policy and paypal..buyers can return things unlike before...i sell a lot thru work and home and had to take a windows operating software back after it had been damaged by seller...thankfully i was able to get the disc repaired and i resold it for a loss..i do not think you bought a pile of spare parts..but to say it was nos was not truthful on their part..if you feel like you got taken...contact paypal once you receive it too..open a case and get your funds back..and like ClockBloke said...you are covered..do not let them pressure you to leave feedback either...if they are not truthful..it will come out and you will be covered either way...it does look like a very nice watch...hope you post pics once you receive it too...John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I did not feel comfortable with the purchase, I requested a refund as suggested here and it was given to me. Watch didn't ship out.

FWIW, I paid $250.00 and it was a best offer. It's back up on eBay now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts