The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pics (quick cellphone ones) at bottom of long post:

Kuroneko delivery guy just brought me this about an hour ago. I'm pretty bowled over. While I'm a watch enthusiast, I don't buy vintage watches as a rule, because I don't know anything about them, but I saw this one online here in Japan, the dial intrigued me, some quick googling seemed to indicate it was a little unusual as well, so I said, "what the heck".

I may start rethinking that vintage watch thing if first impressions here are any indication. Anyhow, as the subject states, it is a Lord Matic 5606-7070. Appears to be the original band, both from signed clasp and bracelet similarity to pictures of other Lord Matics. Size fits my ~7.5" wrist, rather miraculously.

Day/date quickset works, again, which I understand from my quick research, is also, if not miraculous, something for which I should be thankful.

Condition overall, as indicated by the pictures, would generally not signal that this watch is anywhere near its age. A few tiny dots of corrosion on the hands are all I can detect with my unaided (and imperfect) eyes. If it has been polished, it was gently and not recently, as there are some scattered hairlines, a few pinpoint nicks, but lines/caseback engravings (and the few small nicks) are sharp. No scratches/abrasions/clouding or chips on the crystal.

I'm no expert, but if someone told me it had never been buffed/reconditioned other than with a polishing cloth, and had mostly just sat in a dark drawer for 40 years, I'd believe it. But again, I"m probably easily fooled and certainly no expert.

When I hit the "buy" button, I figured I'd flip it, but I'm sort of smitten now, although I guess I'm wondering what is market for something like this. But really, I'm interested in what anyone can tell me about this watch.

I've just gotten it wound up and on the wrist, the first hour or two don't indicate any gross deviations. And I'm off to my kids class observation day wearing this, I'll know more about that in a little while.

But even at that, since the maintenance history is unknown, I figure for keeping it, I should get a service. Is that the prudent thing to do? How much does something like that cost? Is it worth getting Seiko to do it - again, I'm here in Japan, I can just walk it down to the Seiko Service Center in Osaka where I live, only 5 subway stations away.

Anyhow, being a vintage noob and having always been apprehensive of the market with fakes, buff jobs, etc, I'm just in awe of this thing, and I'm wondering if that is warranted as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The watch is awesome, great size, the bracelet itself is impressive. I would service it and wear it. I would think competent watchmaker would be able to service it as good as it appears to be.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Great find! First, it is auto and handwind, I think, so wind it up and let it run and check on its accuracy. If it is slow after 12 hours or so, it could need an overhaul or just adjusting the time. Depends if you are going to wear it everyday...then you may want it to be accurate. The watch is front entry so you should let a qualified watchman do it. I live in Japan also and my watchmaker will have it serviced for me for 7,000yen only! This is not done by Seiko, but I trust my watchmaker to send it out for me. Seiko will charge more, I am sure. Here is mine from 1973, I think.....

dial good by blingmeister, on Flickr

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great find! First, it is auto and handwind, I think, so wind it up and let it run and check on its accuracy. If it is slow after 12 hours or so, it could need an overhaul or just adjusting the time. Depends if you are going to wear it everyday...then you may want it to be accurate.
Is it possible to overwind this movement? Also, beyond just not being accurate, if it needs a lube/service, is the movement slowly self destructing when it is running?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The watch is awesome, great size, the bracelet itself is impressive. I would service it and wear it.
Yeah, the bracelet links are still nice and tight, not a lot of play, which suggests to me that this really hasn't seen a huge amount of wrist time. My impression of the dial design is even better than my initial good one at the listing pictures, so I'm really inclined to making this a regular in the rotation.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Great choice and welcome to the world of Seiko vintages. I also like that you got an original bracelet with this; it's pretty hard especially to find King Seikos and Lord-Matics on their original bracelets IMO.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Is it possible to overwind this movement? Also, beyond just not being accurate, if it needs a lube/service, is the movement slowly self destructing when it is running?
When I mentioned winding it up, I mean to wind the crown a few turns to get it started -or if like shaking it a bit - either way works haha! Out of habit with my auto/winder watches I will wind the crown about 10 times and then wear it. Throughout the day, check on the time and see if it is accurate or slow or fast.....then you will know if you need to have the movement regulated by a watchmaker/Seiko.
If you intend to keep the LM and wear it regularly, then, for peace of mind, you can have it serviced (cleaned and oiled). Your watch looks to have NOT been worn much so it probably sat around. You will read that the watch oils will dry up over time so tis best to have the watch serviced. Many of us collectors do not do this though (open to argument:)....
Your use of 'self-destructing' is rather dramatic! I would first find out how accurate it is over 12 hours or so. Then you can decide what service might be needed. Remember, it is not a super coveted watch but a nice one. So don't sink too much monies into it IMO.

Look at this LM version with the better caliber 5216, two toned and faceted crystal. I found this used several years ago in a consignment store for $80.00. It is so beautiful! I have not had it serviced and it keeps great time! One day I might have it serviced, but it usually sits in the collection box.
seiko 5216 Santa by blingmeister, on Flickr

·
Monkey Steals Peach
1,851 Posts
Damn, that is a sweeeet LM! Congrats on a great find, I've never seen that dial before. Well, you're in trouble now, you'll see that vintage is the way to go, and this is a fine example to start off with!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Similar dial

What a lovely watch! I have a 7170 with the same dial in a gold finish but in a gold plated case that is showing signs of use. This one is Dec 1971.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn, that is a sweeeet LM! Congrats on a great find, I've never seen that dial before. Well, you're in trouble now, you'll see that vintage is the way to go, and this is a fine example to start off with!
I scrolled through gazillions of results from various google image searches and I found one other example with this dial. The dial is what caught my eye and why I bought it, I'm sort of fond of the classic design with a concentric contrasting ring color. One of my favorites in my current collection is a throwback to this style, Orient WZ0071DG from around 2011/2012 or so:

I tried it on mesh, which I thought was nice, but right now I have it back on the leather.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a lovely watch! I have a 7170 with the same dial in a gold finish but in a gold plated case that is showing signs of use. This one is Dec 1971.
That is interesting in gold. The other one I saw was gray like mine and in a 7160 case.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
First test it is running about 30 seconds slow over 12 hours.
Okay, not bad....just having done some research, the LMs were considered grade C accuracy (AAA, AA etc were higher end watch accuracy ratings for GSs etc) which meant -15 to +25 seconds/day.
Assuming your watch has not been running for a long time, and the first test is 30secs slow for 12 hours, then let it run longer for the oils and gears to loosen up and see if the accuracy improves. Again, it seems your watch is just fine!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, not bad....just having done some research, the LMs were considered grade C accuracy (AAA, AA etc were higher end watch accuracy ratings for GSs etc) which meant -15 to +25 seconds/day.
Assuming your watch has not been running for a long time, and the first test is 30secs slow for 12 hours, then let it run longer for the oils and gears to loosen up and see if the accuracy improves. Again, it seems your watch is just fine!
Wow, thanks for all the advice. I'll try to keep it running for a week or so, then do a 24 hour test. For me, being within a minute or so a day is fine, I almost never wear same watch two days in a row, so I always have to set time, etc.

Incidentally, I live in Osaka. There are two walk-in/over the counter Seiko service centers in Japan and one of them is in Osaka about 5 subway stations away. I was down that way today, so I stopped in with this watch.

They were all pretty impressed, even called out their buddies from the back room to see it. However, a service on it by Seiko is hugely expensive, like $200 USD. After watches get past a certain age, the price goes up dramatically. They were real apologetic, as for a relatively current watch, some of the service prices were pretty reasonable, $60-70 USD, but there was a huge price increase, again, for watches older than a certain year, I didn't get which one it was.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the watch is in flawless shape and you like it and are going to keep it then get it serviced. $200 is not out of line for Seiko on an older watch. I sent out my Seiko 7002 diver to Seiko a few years ago and it cost me about $180 so $200 is not a bad price at all. In the USA, Seiko service at Seiko USA is not as cheap as Japan when it comes to new models ether.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Agreed, if you love it and will keep it just pay the price and get it serviced.

I bit the bullet on my 6159-7010. I have a few weeks till it gets back to me but I know it was be dead on and ready to rock for a long time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts