The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today my Dad got his vintage Harley Davidson back from the shop. The 1958 Harley Davison Panhead was the 1st Harley with a swing arm frame. This means it had rear shocks and not just straight metal piping for a frame, called rigid frames. Before that they were very stiff to ride and hard on the rump and the back as every little bump was felt. Dad wanted the oldest Harley he could get with shocks for a more comfortable ride, and he got the 1st year made with those. He bought this bike back in 1979 as a custom chopper and spent a few years tracking down parts to restore it to stock. He put a lot of miles on it over the next 15 years or so and parked it in the garage when it needed work done to keep riding it. Having bought a 1994 Custom Softail brand new (Which I own now), the old bike was neglected. Over 20 years it sat in his garage and age took it's toll on it. No longer running, flat dry rotted tires, and a number of rusty parts. Luckily the paint job survived but everything had to be rebuilt or replaced. Over a year at the shop having everything rebuilt and tracking original 1958 parts for it. New tires, both wheels were rebuilt, top and lower end of the motor and the transmission were all rebuilt, shocks, the front end, etc. Every bearing and seal has been replaced front to back as well as a new S&S carburetor. He could have replaced more parts for cosmetics but decided to leave it looking vintage, kind of like some of us and our watches. I'm so happy for him, he's been talking about getting it rebuilt for years, and now it's done. At 77 years old he can still jump on that kick starter and fire it up. He's been riding since he was a young teen and averages about 30k miles/year on his bike. This 1958 won't see that many miles, but it'll be fun for him as he takes a break from his newer bike.

Just after he bought it back in 1979

Around 1989, a few years after it was 1st restored to stock

Pulling it out of the garage last year to bring to the shop

Pic posted by the shop the other day when it was completed

My Dad today, picking it up from the shop, such a big smile.

This is me around 1980 Before the 1st Restore

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Pretty cool in 1980 hey Jerry...digging the hair and shades! Ya Dad seems like a good laugh and looking fit as a fiddle at 77. Great pics, the bike looks great, colours, front lights and wheel fenders and I'm guessing those are twin cylinders? Not too knowledgeable on bikes but I did ride around on an italjet 50cc when I was about 7 til around 10! :)

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Aloha ,

Hey that is a good looking Hog he has there.
Hi I am from ....Honolulu, Hawaii and originally from the Big Island where those Volcanoes are at.
I have been riding Bikes since I was around ... 10 years old , then it was
Mini Bikes and later I had so many.
My ride has always been ...... Choppers for most of my life and those
..... Low and excessive Long ones. I have been building them from as long as
I can remember and doing all y own work too. Being a Machinist and Welder
has been beneficial to do all that.
My friends are a lot of custom Bike builders that are still known for their
work yet. Some of these are ....Mondo Porras of Denver's Choppers and
Sugar Bear in California and my Wife's Cousin Jesse James from California and some others.
Your Dad has kept it on good shape so he had the chance to rebuild it again,
Oh and those ...Stiff Riding ones are called ...
Rigid Frames. I love them rather ..... Soft Riding ones. I am 6' 4 1/2 "
tall so they are just right for me. Front Ends are always around ...7 Foot
Long on most of my Bikes too and alway .... Big Cubic Inch Motors over
... 80 Inch and up to .... 109 Inch Stroker's.
I have had models collected from .... 1903 to 2009 but most I got them
Chopped to fit me but some just stayed stock.
Aloha
Louis

Attachments

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aloha ,

Hey that is a good looking Hog he has there.
Hi I am from ....Honolulu, Hawaii and originally from the Big Island where those Volcanoes are at.
I have been riding Bikes since I was around ... 10 years old , then it was
Mini Bikes and later I had so many.
My ride has always been ...... Choppers for most of my life and those
..... Low and excessive Long ones. I have been building them from as long as
I can remember and doing all y own work too. Being a Machinist and Welder
has been beneficial to do all that.
My friends are a lot of custom Bike builders that are still known for their
work yet. Some of these are ....Mondo Porras of Denver's Choppers and
Sugar Bear in California and my Wife's Cousin Jesse James from California and some others.
Your Dad has kept it on good shape so he had the chance to rebuild it again,
Oh and those ...Stiff Riding ones are called ...
Rigid Frames. I love them rather ..... Soft Riding ones. I am 6' 4 1/2 "
tall so they are just right for me. Front Ends are always around ...7 Foot
Long on most of my Bikes too and alway .... Big Cubic Inch Motors over
... 80 Inch and up to .... 109 Inch Stroker's.
I have had models collected from .... 1903 to 2009 but most I got them
Chopped to fit me but some just stayed stock.
Aloha
Louis
Nice builds Louis, I remember you posting those before. Very cool bikes.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few years back I modded a 7009 for my Dad using the emblem on the tank for the dial theme.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
What a beautifull bike, and nice to see its been sympathetically restored.
Your dad looks like a cool dude Jerry.

I remember back in the 80's a lot of my friends had hardtail chops, i had a standard GS850 shafty. When riding to bike rallies which were more than 20 miles away, the women riding pillion on the hardtails would start fighting over the vacant pillion seat on my GS.

Im still plodding along with my GSX1100 cafe race project, hopefully it will be completed next summer.

·
Premium Member
9,285 Posts
wow Jerry - that is a huge act of love. What an amazing machine. Looks great. There is no better feeling or sense of accomplishment (or even obligation) than restoring these masterpieces. Congratulations to your Dad and to you. And thanks for sharing. I love these pictures.

And look at you on the bike in 1980. Hot stuff you were.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts