The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

I have recently become smitten with Grand Seikos and presently have a modest collection of two:

I have a modern G.S. quartz and a 1968 4522 handwind which runs at a sweet 36000 bph. Now I would like to sample some of the early G.S. Problem is that these do not change hands as frequently as others and it is harder to get an idea of market value. If you could share your thoughts on these calibres and pricing on good to excellent condition samples I would appreciate it. Pics unless otherwise specified are courtesy of the SCWF Photo Database.

I have started my research with this excellent page of info courtesy of Seiya-San:
http://www32.ocn.ne.jp/~kseiya/gs/history-e.html

First up is the 3180 which seems to have started it all...

Only 36000 produced and a low beat 18000bph. I wonder how accurate these were back in the day?

Second up is the 5722. I have seen a couple of these I could try to acquire. I have no idea what is a fair price though.

18000 bph for the 5722A and 430 and this is apparently always marked "chronometer"
19800 bph for the 5722B which I guess is 5 beats per second instead of 4?

These seem to be pretty special Grand Seikos...

I will skip the 44 for now and go to the 6245.

The crown position and look makes me think of my 1964 Seikomatic.

(last pic courtesy of Randall Benson. It is the movement when he had it disassembled)
This makes sense considering that the model was intially called Seikomatic Chronometer.

Next is the 61GS and in this case these are pics of a 6145:

There is an excellent review of a 6146 already here on the new SCWF!
http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,418.0.html

36000bph auto and available in a VFA (very fine adjusted) this might be the best vintage auto Seiko ever made! :)

Then there is the 4522 G.S. which I am very forunate to own:

36000 bph and again available in a VFA configuation.

Then there is the 56 G.S. which carred Grand Seiko from 1970-1978 and was the "swan song" of the mechanical G.S. until 1998 and the 9S Grand Seiko brought mechanical Grand Seikos back to us.

I'm not sure how these fit into the G.S. pantheon.

Of the ones I have posted here I am smitted with the 4522 (obvious since I have one), the 5722, and the 6145. The 3180 is cool because it came first and the caseback is a thing of beauty. :p

Anyone want to share their vintage G.S. and tell me about them? :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Zoodles95 said:
I have recently become smitten with Grand Seikos and presently have a modest collection of two
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get those two lovely examples?

Zoodles95 said:
Now I would like to sample some of the early G.S. Problem is that these do not change hands as frequently as others
It seems to me that GSs in general do not change hands all that often. They are the kinds of watches that people hang onto (or, sadly, don't know the value of).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Vintage Grand Seikos can be expensive or affordable, depending on your expectations and tastes.

I have seen 5645/6 calibre examples go for as low as 25000 Yen on Yahoo Japan, some with minor stains on the dial, or corroded caseback emblems. Nice ones (56 calibre) usually go for around 40000 Yen or more. (More for unusual or hard to find cases)

6145 / 6146 GS examples seem to command a higher price, together with the 4522 handwinds. 5722 handwinds are not difficult to find on Yahoo Japan, but good ones can cost above 100000 Yen

You got to be careful in choosing one though, I have seen too many examples of redialled GSs (at least on Yahoo Japan), some with really crummy overpolished cases, and aftermarket caseback emblems.

For me, I would wait for one that is in good original condition, may be pricier, but I would not have to spend much more for a complete restoration. ;)

Cheers!!

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts