The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the final stages of compiling a wrist watch movement table, summarising Citizen's mechanical and electro-mechanical movements and their associated watch models for the period 1931 to 1974. This covers the period from Citizen's first wrist watch to the time quartz movements took off and began to dominate the mass market.

As I began to get seriously interested in the vintage Citizen brand I soon found that there was a lack historical information available including a comprehensive table of their watch movements, especially written in English. So after gathering reliable info/documentation I decided to put something together myself. Although the table is as comprehensive as I can currently make it, there will no doubt be gaps, since I am including only data that I have been able to verify 'officially'. Of course the table can be revised over time as and when existing or new information has been verified.

So, if you are interested in vintage mechanical Citizens, I hope this table will be of use to you - once I'm happy it's as final as can be at this stage I'll post more about it and, of course, how to access the full version.

Finally, I must thank Martin ('Martback') for his support as I've worked on this, and not least for pointing me in the right direction to get at the correct information and sources.

Sweephand

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sweephand said:

Finally, I must thank Martin ('Martback') for his support as I've worked on this, and not least for pointing me in the right direction to get at the correct information and sources.

Suggesting stuff and hope that someone else does the work is what I do best. ;D

Having seen some of the evolution of this document I am amazed at (and grateful for) the work that has been spent and this could become as classic and useful as the Seiko caliber table and hopefully inspire more people to research and experience the world of vintage Citizen watches, which are seriously underappreciated.

/ martin

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a sample page - the table will be a .pdf file for viewing and download. I hope to sort that out some time later this evening, I'll post a link as soon as it's done...

Sweephand

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first version of the movement table is now available on-line - it can be accessed via the link posted here (it is part of a developing database on vintage Citizen watches):

http://seikoholics.yuku.com/sreply/1895

I welcome any feedback you may have on the document, including of course if you have any technical problems accessing it!

Sweephand

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen a few models / movements which look authentic, for potential inclusion in the Table, but I haven't been able yet to 'officially' verify them. So I'm seeing if any one has further info on them. At the moment I think they are all automatics as follows:

'555' autodater
'520' autodater
'Super Flat' variant of Crystal Seven
'Compact' model variant
7500 movement - seen in a World Timer from 1971 - this one definitely needs verifying since I have also seen an electro-mechanical (Cosmotron) movement designated 7500, 7501, 7510

Please let me know if you have info on any of these....

Sweephand

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'll go through the list and let you know, if I see something missing. A first overview let's suggest I cannot ad anything, though.
Good work!

Cheers,

Axel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts