The Watch Site banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!

New member here from Europe/Germany.

I was a long time lurker at the old SCWF and some members here may know me from my contributions at MWR or Watchuseek.
You can also find some reviews I did in the Vintage Watch Review section here at the forum.

I really like the site layout and functionality of this new forum and of course the knowledge from the members of this forum.
Thanks for the good work, I really appreciate it.

So here is my first post starting directly with questions ;D

I really searched everywhere, the internet, the database here, but did not find anything about this Citizen.

It is a Citizen Tiger XXX Automatic.

It´s such a beauty - though hard to photograph - and had original a bevelled plexiglas.
I had it changed to a normal one cause the old bevelled one had a crack.

The blue dial is marked at the bottom: JAPAN 6000-160638 SM.

So maybe some of the members here can help me out with a little bit of history about this specific model?

Thank you very much for any information.

Greetings from Germany

sharpie

·
Administrator
33,740 Posts
Hi Sharpie from what i know about them they are totally rubbish !! sell it me and make room in your box for a proper watch :)) :))

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey "TheTigerUK"

Hahaha, thanks for this fast reply :D

But really, any other info?

Greetings

sharpie

·
Administrator
33,740 Posts
Sweephand is the guy you want to ask he is fast becoming one of the vintage Citizen experts along with one or two others, and i would really like one my self just for the name connection ;) nice watch.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks :)

So let´s see if we can get some more informations about these models.

Greetings and all the best.

sharpie

·
Registered
187 Posts
Admittedly it was his 61st birthday a few weeks ago........ but calling him Vintage Citizen Tiger is a little premature. In 4 years time we can call him Senior Citizen Tiger :))

·
Administrator
33,740 Posts
red2ndhand said:
Wow. That is the latest model released about 6 months ago in honor of Tiger Wood XXX affairs! :D
I thought the Tiger Woods special was a XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX :))

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Hey Sharpie, Great seeing you around these parts. Sadly I know nothing about your watch, but it sure is a looker. Welcome aboard.

^-^

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Isthmus!

Thanks for the welcome :)

I´m sure we can find out more about this Citizen model here with the help of other forum members.

Greetings to you from Germany!

sharpie

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hi Sharpie - nice to see a vintage Citizen post :) Not seen many of these Tigers for sale, yours looks to be in nice condition. Unlike Seiko, it's difficult to find info about older Citizen watches, as you've discovered! This is what I know at the moment: the 6xxx range was produced in the early 1970's, but with the advent of quartz watches they weren't around for very long. Yours was produced in February 1975 (first part of the serial number tells us that '502'). I think these watches were relatively 'low' end - that's not a criticism, since most if not all the mechanical movements of that era from Citizen and Seiko are pretty sound - but it won't have been tuned too highly for accuracy and therefore wouldn't have been that expensive to buy at the time.

The movement in yours should be a 6001 I think since it has a date window - I think the 6000 had no day or date, the 6001 had date only and the 6501 had both day and date. Movement could be either 17 or 21 jewels and beats at 21,600 beat per hour. Perhaps you could post a movement pic if you can get the back off safely.

Hope this helps,
Sweephand

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey sweephand!

Awesome, thanks a lot for this information - I really appreciate it!

I will post a photo of the movement.

Greetings.

sharpie

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here we go, the picture of the movement.

And Sweephand, you´re right: it is marked: 6001.

It looks actually kind of small but sits nicely in the case `cause of its stainless steel movement holding ring.

Is this the same movement that is in some of the nice vintage 150M Citizen divers?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Thanks for the movement pic - look to be nice and clean, with no corrosion :) The 6001 was used in Citizen's diver range I believe, they also used the 8200 movement and some had 52xx movements, including in this 'compressor' style model:

Sweephand

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Sweephand

Thanks for sharing the picture of this wonderful vintage Citizen diver.

Love the clean and functional design of the watch and it has by far the coolest seconds hand I´ve seen in along time.

Greetings

sharpie

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The lollipop style hand is nice :) I need to update the pics of this one, since it was actually missing its steel bezel - I was lucky to get a donor watch with usable bezel :)

Sweephand

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would not have recognized the missing bezel - cause the watch looks fully functional because you can use the inner bezel for timing.

Looking forward to see the watch with bezel in the near future.

sharpie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts