The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

Just sharing a few pictures of an old Citizen 8200 diver I scored on the Bay. I believe its circa 1981.

It looked pretty normal from the pictures that the seller provided but I quickly fell in love with this piece the moment it got out of of the postal package.

It measures 41mm across without crown, 44mm with crown and 50mm lug to lug. The case has good weight and its dimensions are just nice for someone with noodle wrists like mine. Movement is clean, runs very strong, and has good reserve. The lume on the indices and hands are all gunked up, but I'll decide if I'll relume them later on. Bezel insert has a fair bit of wear but adds to the character of this piece. There's almost a shade of dark blue on this bezel insert, but I can't be sure if its originally intended to be of that color or if its due to the wear. But the crown jewel of this piece is the crystal. It seems to be concave inside and I really dig the beveled edges.

Its one of those pieces that really makes your day seeing it in the mail. I'm wearing it on a croc leather strap as I type this.

Here's some quick shots.

Have a splendid day ahead folks! :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the kind words!

Some of us may disagree on tampering with an old watch, but I've decided to relume this fella. I'd want him to glow as well as he did (possibly even brighter) when he was first out of the box. Took quite a long time last evening cleaning up the dial and the indices as well as the hands. This few days is gonna be fun.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Congratulations! Great looking old classic - I like the crown at 3 o'clock with the crown guards, reminds me of the 7S26-0040 / -0050. One advantage the 8200 series have over the Seiko 7S26 is the handwinding capability. And, fwiw, I very much favor re-luming, especially in a case like this. To me, lume is very much like gaskets; if it's shot, it can no longer fulfill its intended function and should be replaced.

Congrats again, enjoy it in good health! :goodjob:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the very kind words mate. I'm in the process of reluming it. Pictures to follow on Monday. Agreed on the 8200. I've swapped in a brand new 8205 instead. The day wheel was a little sticky on the existing movement and I've transplanted that to a NY2300 mod that I have. I was expecting this watch to be smaller in size but when it arrived, I was very pleasantly surprised that it was really chunky and solid. Very heavy. I'm a happy boy this Christmas. :)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
These are great watches,congratulations with yours :eusa_clap:,

greetings from mine ;) ,

·
Registered
685 Posts
I picked up one of these watches a while ago and they really are great! Prices seem to vary amazingly on ebay and I was lucky to get mine very cheaply. It's in great condition apart from the glass which is very scratched.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow!

Thanks for sharing pictures of your watches! They look excellent. I cannot help but notice how good this model looks refurbished and also when it's left aged. All being said, the lume on the ones shared here look so much better than the one I got. I'm gonna snap some pictures in a short while. Am pretty pleased about the lume job (coming from a complete klutz) this time round. :eek:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good to know there's so many Citizen 8200 lovers here.

Man... I just realised that the seconds hand is slipping. I must have been a tad too careless removing it. I'm such a klutz.

Is there a way to crimp the tube? I'm also contemplating getting a replacement seconds hand, but nothing is turning up in my searches. Anyone has any resources for this that they know of?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Here's some information for posterity, which Sweephand shared with me some time ago when I asked about part numbers for the hands. I have been wholly unsuccessful sourcing any of these hands; rather, I ended up buying a donor watch and using those.

52-0110
H/M Hand Set - Part #A58-65762
Second Hand - Part #518-5962

51-2273
H/M Hand Set - Part #A58-68132.
Second Hand - No part # found

Hopefully it can give you somewhere to begin but it really might be easier to source a donor with a bad case or something so you can use the parts.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much mate. Mine is a 51-2273 unfortunately. A friend actually suggested a tiny dab of Loctite over the pinion which I'm very uncomfortable with. Has anyone tried crimping something as small as a seconds hand tube? It's really tiny that thing. Otherwise, I'll just have to use a seconds hand from a NY2300 and age it some to blend in. Haha... But I really dig this square box design. Something very old skool about it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Spent some time today to bring the diver over to the local top guy for repairing Seiko watches and he crimped the hands for me and now, my watch is running like it should. I'm juiced!

I removed the old lume with some acetone and some elbow grease. Painted some metal primer onto the dial plots, gave it a white undercoat, and finally luming the top with a mixture of vintage lume and the brightest lume I got at home. Was a delicate job and I'm usually a klutz, but I don't think it turned out that bad. Finished the dial and the chapter ring off with a coat of Tamiya semi gloss matt to seal it all in and to prevent any further deterioration.

Here's some pictures after the relume and accompanied with an old skool generic president bracelet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts