The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I figured I would contribute to Casioctober with a mini review of my Vintage Casio G-Shock DW6000, the only G with 1/1000 Chrono.
Watch was bought new in 1990 (Year it came out). I whined for about 6 month until my dad finally caved in and shelled out $100 for this watch (big money in 1990). This was my second Casio, first was a data bank but its MIA. I have to say that is by far the toughest watch I have ever owned. It has endured some serious abuse of a kid and and a teenager, went though a high school, numerous fights, falls, swims, digs, hits, throws and so on. It traveled around the world with me and swam in Mediterranian, Dead Sea, Caspian Sea, Atlantic Ocean and countless lakes and rivers. I wore the watch non-stop for about 12-14 years after the second battery died it was thrown in the drawer because it didn't look so pretty anymore and I had other watches to abuse ;D Last year I restored the watch to almost new condition (Was going to throw it away until I found some spare parts)

Now Pictures: Crystal is mineral as far as I know and it doesn't have a scratch on it which is amazing for the abuse the watch went through. The only negatives here is that the display is a little crooked, I have seen others and they are the same way, I tried many times to fix this but it would always return to its crooked position. I guess we can call it "character". Another negative point is that illumination is virtually non existent, it has a incandescent bulb that is pretty much useless.

Caseback is untouched, and held up nicely pretty much no scratches.

Gold Plating on the buckle and buttons held up very well, some aging but amazing after all the salt water damage. The original Strap stood the test of time (you are seeing a new one in the pictures) and the only thing that failed in it was a keeper which I was able to replace with an aftermarket piece.

This is what the bezel looked like before, you can see all the sea salt still on it. The bezel pretty much crumbled into pieces.

All in all, this is a great watch that did exactly what it was designed to do and did it well. Used ones show up on eBay and go from $100 for a poor example to about $350 for one in excellent shape. There was also a very rare model with a Green writing on the bezel which I have only seen once. Hope you enjoyed the review.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Nice review. The DW6000 is definitely the grand-daddy of 1/1000 sec chronograph G-Shock.

The modern G7700 series and GA110 series also can measure up to 1/1000 sec.

1/1000 sec useful? Not really. But sure its a nice bragging rights. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
You've had it for 24 years? Nice, and I wish you 24 more years with it. Old G's are always fun to see. I hope mine lasts that long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts