The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone felt the same?

This is running like an auction, only difference is, you got no timeline, and you got all the offers you can ever have....

Why do we have this?

I know, this post might be deleted... or I may be banned because of this. BUT I am speaking up and I am sure the rest may feels the same too!

Can we do something about this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And thanks for some of the notes you guys sent to me via PM.

I think it is worth a discussion... maybe not on this page... but on the main forum for sure.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sure, forums are for discussions, if you are intersted in other peoples views on a subject then why not?

I see your point on "offers invited" but does anyone loose out from this? I think only the seller as potential buyers may be put off.
Sometimes it is hard to know if an item has any real value....for example I may (I haven't yet) put some bits and pieces for sale that really aren't worth anything to me, but I don't really feel the need to give them away, I would consider listing them with "offers invited".

Anyway, interested. Have I missed the point?

·
Administrator
32,584 Posts
Anyone felt the same?

This is running like an auction, only difference is, you got no timeline, and you got all the offers you can ever have....

Why do we have this?

I know, this post might be deleted... or I may be banned because of this. BUT I am speaking up and I am sure the rest may feels the same too!

Can we do something about this?
Neither deleted or a ban, why should there be ? but it would obviously of been better to post it in the correct area.

What about price followed by OBO (or best offers) ?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Personally i have no issue with it. Whats wrong with the concept. My only issue is that most of the offers are half of what you get on ebay :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure, forums are for discussions, if you are intersted in other peoples views on a subject then why not?

I see your point on "offers invited" but does anyone loose out from this? I think only the seller as potential buyers may be put off.
Sometimes it is hard to know if an item has any real value....for example I may (I haven't yet) put some bits and pieces for sale that really aren't worth anything to me, but I don't really feel the need to give them away, I would consider listing them with "offers invited".

Anyway, interested. Have I missed the point?
Firstly, thank you for moving this thread here.

I see your point on the potential buyers put off.

However, if a person wants to sell a watch, I always thought that the general convention; the seller will label a price as he is the seller. Its akin to walking into a shop, where all the price tag is labelled "for your offer"... Doesn't make much sense does it?

On the other side of the party, in the case of IF I am trying to buy a watch off the wrist from someone who doesn't have the intention to sell, I shou;ld offer a price. It will be weird (or even rude) if I say, "hey, that's a nice watch, how much is that?"

In the context that if the seller genuinely does not know the price to the watch, then I would say, do your homework... In today's context, finding a value to a watch (especially when it is not all that rare) is easy. It just takes some effort and time.

My 2 cents worth

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Personally i have no issue with it. Whats wrong with the concept. My only issue is that most of the offers are half of what you get on ebay :)
Which is also irritating for the seller too.
You potentially solicit lowballers.... that's the other problem too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Neither deleted or a ban, why should there be ? but it would obviously of been better to post it in the correct area.

What about price followed by OBO (or best offers) ?
If there is a price, at least, we know the benchmark.
That is why, I don't know any forums that disallow that.

Its a shorter way of saying, I am selling this for 100 bucks.
But I'm willing to negotiate if there are sensible offers, AND I am willing to give in because I love you.

·
Special Member
5,176 Posts
Dont have a problem with it, but why not just ask a price when you want to sell and mention that's negotiable.
I've bought a few pieces from members here who've asked for an offer first on items that were not for sale, per se.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I must say, I don't really like the concept myself and it puts me off ads that use it. Let me know how much you'd like for the item and I'll haggle with you until we reach an agreement or not. Open to offers feels too lazy for me and also makes me think there's going to be too long a wait whilst the seller awaits a possibly better offer. Nah, way too wishy washy. That said, if others use it, that's their prerogative as it's currently within the rules.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I think anybody advertising an item for sale has some sort of minimum price in mind. When I see 'offers invited' it just makes me wonder if the seller wants to keep their price secret just in case a rich buyer in a hurry comes along and makes an outrageously high offer. I agree it also gives the impression the seller isn't really serious about selling. Off putting to any buyer looking for keen price, and that's most of us no? Anybody in the making an offer to good to refuse game isn't going to worry about trivial matters like whether the item is actually up for sale or not.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm not a fan. Here's my post on the matter the last time we discussed it.

See how they do it on MacRumors, for example. They have a ton of rules that they actively enforce, including leaving the price intact once the item sells to help future sellers price their items accordingly. Posts that fail to comply are locked/deleted and a PM is sent to the poster, referring them to read the rules.

I think one of the most frustrating ones is "just make me an offer." Either you're actively selling something or you're not. You clearly have an idea of what you'll take, so just save everyone the effort of trying to get in your head and make a killing.

I agree that I've sometimes seen rules bent, particularly when it comes to the number of active posts and how often they are bumped. Additionally, though I sell items through other outlets, it's a little annoying to see vendors (in spirit, not in letter) selling the same items, day after day, week after week, month after month. The rules are in place to protect people and their hard-earned money, not to be oppressive and draw complaints by sellers claiming the rules inhibit them from selling their goods. If the rules are too much, there are dozens of other forums that you can (and likely do) use to sell your items.

Ultimately, I think the emphasis should be placed on protecting the community we have here, which means that if a few sellers find these simple rules to be too burdensome, they may not be the type of folks with whom I want to conduct business.

·
Special Member
7,225 Posts
I use it when I have no idea what to ask.

For example, my 7015- is it a $50 watch or a $100 watch? You see then on ebay at both price points. Being on an original bracelet how does that affect proper selling price? The dial is quite nice with all the printing there but slightly faded. So how to value that, it's in the eye of the beholder.

Quite simply, I'd ask $100 but no offers me
back because the price is too high, then I'm stick because I can't then drop the price to $50 at that point.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Ive not used it, but I may do so in the future.

For example, I have a 6309 729B project watch I may or not ever get around to restoring. If I decide to move it on I'd rather sell it on a forum to someone who knows exactly what they're getting into. However, this is a rather rare watch and while I could seek out finished auctions on eBay for a price on a complete and running example, there is no guide to the value of a project watch. I'd rather see if anyone is interested than name a price that is either too low or unrealistically high. Offers invited can be a suitable option in some cases, but I wouldn't use it for common watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
1,981 Posts
I'd like the idea if we had an "auction" area. if one has no idea what to ask, then put it on ebay. by using offer, you're basically having your research done for you and there are too many "behind the scene" variables that the buyer is not privy to.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And I rem one of our sales rules. Someone sent me a pm on this:

According to posting rule 5:

*5. It is _required_ that the body of every post on SCTP _MUST_ INCLUDE*:
* The _asking price_ for the service or items being offered for sale, or a trade equivalent (plus any additional monetary consideration that may apply) for items being offered for trade."

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use it when I have no idea what to ask.

For example, my 7015- is it a $50 watch or a $100 watch? You see then on ebay at both price points. Being on an original bracelet how does that affect proper selling price? The dial is quite nice with all the printing there but slightly faded. So how to value that, it's in the eye of the beholder.

Quite simply, I'd ask $100 but no offers me
back because the price is too high, then I'm stick because I can't then drop the price to $50 at that point.
At least you have done your due diligence on price.

Then for sure put in the higher price you observe if you like and add in or best offer.

And if it doesn't sell still, you can always update your price reduction. No issue.

But if you solicit for offers, buyers will be like, you mean you wanna sell a watch but you got no price? What do you mean???

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd like the idea if we had an "auction" area. if one has no idea what to ask, then put it on ebay. by using offer, you're basically having your research done for you and there are too many "behind the scene" variables that the buyer is not privy to.

<* shark >>><
Agree with Larry on this. Totally my point.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts