The Watch Site banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased 4 watches from an ebay seller in the Philippines.
I guess I can't type their username but the initials are something like t_e.

I've bought from them before and their watches were fine. I overhaul the mechanical ones to be sure anyway before I resell them here.

Three of the four were good this time but the later model mechanical had a fault that I could've fixed but I shouldn't have had to:undecided:

I contacted them and asked for my money back.....
They said return it and they would fix it and send it back. They're not watchmakers but I am and I told them that.
I just wanted my $ back.
They said send the watch back. I did & gave them the details.

More requesting the $ back from them meanwhile I had less and less time to leave them the feedback they deserved and they knew that.

Finally after I threatened to badmouth them on all and any International forum I could find did they make noises about refunding me.
They did - sans the postage I'd paid to get it back to them, meaning I had to re threaten them.
Finally all paid:)

Their watches look fine and most probably are but they're obviously :mad: to deal with so be very wary.

·
Registered
29,137 Posts
My impression is that, for all but watchmaker's and hands-on tinkerers, watches from Philippine ebay vendors can be highly risky. I avoid them.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
I am so done with ebay sellers from the Philippines.. I am 0-for-3. Each time an issue.

It's not fair in life to paint with a broad brush, but that is what I am doing. No more Phillipino ebay watches for me. I see the location, I move on, no regrets.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The first few vintage seiko divers I bought were from the Philippines and I've since learned my lesson. Sellers have generally been pretty decent once issues are identified but Philpost lost two returns (got stuck at 'enroute to delivery' for ever) so I'm out about £150 despite the seller accepting returns...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
well i buy from all over the world...it all depends on who you deal with...i would never buy a restored watch from there..but there is good and bad sellers all over the world...Ramon is great ...dont know where we all would be without him...

·
Registered
55 Posts
When stationed in the East in the Air Force the Phillipines were consider a den of theives. I continue to reguard them as such.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I do like Ramon, he says what he is selling, and it always is and never had an issue. When I was writing my last post, I was leaning more towards "restored, fully serviced" sellers.

Regards
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
What really blows my mind on this subject is the number of times it has been discussed on this board and yet people still buy watches from these people.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
well there is some shady watches out there...we just got to look at everything before we buy...no matter their location...

·
Administrator
30,098 Posts
What really blows my mind on this subject is the number of times it has been discussed on this board and yet people still buy watches from these people.
And that IMO says it all, as they say you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink :)

I have no sympathy at all with anyone who buy's from a HHC and then winges if it goes wrong (JMO).

·
Registered
261 Posts
you bought from them before and all was ok. but, if you have a bad experience, chalk it up to learning and simply stay away from now on. I put every single seller name on this board and get feedback before any clicks. good luck next time and remember..."buyer beware".
jim

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Hey if i get snookered ..shame on them ..but if i do it twice...shame on me...

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you bought from them before and all was ok. but, if you have a bad experience, chalk it up to learning and simply stay away from now on. I put every single seller name on this board and get feedback before any clicks. good luck next time and remember..."buyer beware".
jim

You're right (as others have typed) "buyer beware" - as with anything, anywhere.

I won't stay away from buying from there. I've bought many and most are good and as I'm a watchmaker and overhaul almost all to my standards I'm then happy with them as are the people I on sell them to:)

I wasn't writing about the quality of the watches but them mucking me around re the refund:mad:

I don't think we should write off a whole countries worth of watches because of some 'bad apples'.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
OHH BUGGER.

Ive just pulled the trigger on a 7002 7020 from Mountapo.

Case back looks somewhat over polished, AM hands and crystal, but the dial looks original and the machine marks look to be intact on the case. Bezel needs some attention and its probably got a 7009 franken movement, but does have the correct black date wheel.
At £44 i thought it a bargain even if i have to change the movement.

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
well at that price...you will be ok even if it is parts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The only seller from the Philipines I will ever deal with is (Jose) Watchcooking, one of the best ebay sellers I have ever dealt with . Always honestly described and every fault or aftermarket part disclosed. Unfortunately the postage costs and risk of customs charges are getting a bit prohibitive :undecided:.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.