The Watch Site banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Special Member
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Aloha Louis,

Thanks for the links and additional information on the Olongapos.

US Navy Underwater Demolition Team Diver (UDT Frogmen) wearing an Olongapo Bracelet

·
Special Member
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Great watch and bracelet Kyle!

My Dad was in the Navy during WWII as an Aviation Mechanics Mate 2nd class. He gave me a very special ring crafted from a gold Aviation Wing pilots pin that an Italian POW made for him while he was stationed in Africa.

I'd love to have one of those bracelets. Got any extras?.....;)
Hi Tom,

IIRC I have also seen Olongapos with Aviation Pilot Wings pinned on to the bracelet.... Very Cool! This is my first and only Olongapo but I will keep a lookout for you :)

US Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha Team 385 Patch. Frogs and Sharks carrying sticks of TNT dynomite :grin:

·
Special Member
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I'm reviving this thread as I just picked up another Olongapo Bracelet. I find that my 6106 with US Navy Olongapo is getting a lot of wrist time - just a pleasure to wear :)

I really like the earlier Olongapos as the insignia was not machine stamped but hand made. They have a basic and crude look to them - Delightful and almost Cartoonish :)

1960's Vietnam War Era US Marines Olongapo Bracelet.

(Seller's Pics)

·
Special Member
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Photos of another Vietnam War Era Olongapo Bracelet (downloaded not mine) with the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor emblem of the US Marine Corps on a 1970 Vintage Rolex GMT-Master 1675 (hands have been replaced)

Refined and Dignified

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is my reprolongapo made in New Mexico, a friend and moderator on another site had a handful made using a VN era one as the pattern, this what I wore my 6105 on, the watch was sold here a few weeks ago (thanks again SCWF). The new bracelets from Olongapo do not have the same clasp or weight to them and the metal content is different, I have one somewhere but it is currently "hiding". I promised my WIS son the bracelet and the 6105 project that I still have.

olongapo.jpg
olongapo2.jpg

·
Special Member
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
(Downloaded not mine) - one of the stranger O'pos I have seen. From the darkening of the bracelet it looks like it might be tarnished Silver rather than the normally seen Stainless Steel? I also have no idea what the emblem/insignia is under the SEIKO logo?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
(Downloaded not mine) - one of the stranger O'pos I have seen. From the darkening of the bracelet it looks like it might be tarnished Silver rather than the normally seen Stainless Steel? I also have no idea what the emblem/insignia is under the SEIKO logo?

The Emblem on the Bracelet it to .......Designate that the Owner was a
........ U.S. Navy ..... " Personnel Man " , .....that worked in Office areas.
" Those are .... Old Fashion Quill Feathers "......... Pen's.
You know those were dipped into Ink Well that were used for
........Old Time Penmanship.

·
Special Member
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The Emblem on the Bracelet it to .......Designate that the Owner was a
........ U.S. Navy ..... " Personnel Man " , .....that worked in Office areas.
" Those are .... Old Fashion Quill Feathers "......... Pen's.
You know those were dipped into Ink Well that were used for
........Old Time Penmanship.

Mahalo Louis!

Kyle

·
Special Member
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Unidentified Photo of an Olongapo during the Vietnam War. I'm not sure which Military or Branch but the hat looks like a US Marines Utility Cap/ 8-Point Cover to me :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
These are really neat, Kyle. I was totally unfamiliar with these bracelets until about 5 years ago I got a 6309 (not a 6105, I'm sure) parts lot and in it came a running 6309 on one of these, which I guess someone had kept from years before buying the 6309? Anyway, I remember I paid peanuts for the lot and thought I'd make it back just selling off the ratty 6309, which I did, but was totally floored to sell the Olongapo for well more than the 6309. My gmail says it was $456, and this was in 2015. I spent all four years of high school in NJROTC - not exactly a military experience but enough that I recognized that one of the symbols on the bracelet was the USN Master Diver insignia. Wish I had provenance on the bracelet or even photos still to share, but alas it appears to be gone from the internet at this point.

·
Special Member
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Nice score on the 6309 with Olongapo bracelet. Here is a 6306 Diver on an Olongapo (downloaded not mine) with a Master Diver on one side and USMC Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on the Other.

The Bezel Insert is just Awful!

·
Special Member
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Getting back to the 6106 Sports Diver. Ever since I first got the watch the Day has not been turning over correctly always getting stuck in the middle.

Decided to try to sort the Day wheel and Opened the Watch for the 1st time today.

Removed the Day wheel and as suspected it was slightly bent. A careful re-bending and then reinstalled. The Dial Hour Markers and Hands have a Wonderful Coffee colored lume and I thought this 6106 Diver was very likely manufactured by Daini Seikoska.

Day Wheel Sorted and Re-Installing the Hands

A quick look at the movement and caseback confirmed - Daini Seikosha!

·
Special Member
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Olongapo on a 1967 Omega Seamaster (according to the current owner the watch was owned by a US Navy 1st Class Diver and bracelet was custom made soon after the purchase)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts