The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine isn’t anywhere near as coo but I’m trying! ‘86 6309 and Graham ringed razel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Very hard to see in the photos but the US Navy Insignia on the Olongapo bracelet is in a slightly more yellow metal (maybe some sort of brass or brass alloy?). Very subtle contrast with the Stainless Bracelet and matches nicely with the aged Lume on the Seiko Dial Hour Markers and Hands. The entire bracelet has a wonderful handmade quality and even the US Navy Insignia has a rough crude look that appears to be one of the earlier Hand Made insignias - not the later stamped metal insignias.

I always thought Olongapos looked uncomfortable but it is just a pleasure to wear. Unlike a mulitple link flexible bracelet the Olongapo is a firm, inflexible shape but it wears loosely and seems to float over the wrist just resting on the outer edges. Bracelet was constructed with a raised center ridge adding a little extra room so it wears well over wrist bones. Worn loose and low it is an Extremely Comfortable Bracelet.... I LOVE IT!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Im a fan of the look of these vintage olongapos, especially on divers. Sadly, I've never had the chance to try one on, and given I was never in the military (let alone US) i think it would feel a bit strange to even buy one just for kicks...

Looks great, thanks for sharing!

·
Special Member
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im a fan of the look of these vintage olongapos, especially on divers. Sadly, I've never had the chance to try one on, and given I was never in the military (let alone US) i think it would feel a bit strange to even buy one just for kicks...

Looks great, thanks for sharing!

I'm back visiting in the US and the above photograph of the US Navy Olongapo was taken in the back yard of my Mom's house that I grew up in. Growing up in this neighborhood almost all the neighbors were US Navy or US Coast Guard families. Both my Dad and Mom were US Navy. Dad for US Naval Intelligence and Mom worked for the US Dept of Navy for 35 years.

I have never served in the US Military but I have enormous respect for the US Navy and plan on wearing the watch with great admiration!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Aloha Sir,
Kyle those were made by Jaffe Jurado and many are still in existence.
We had them when in Vietnam and I might say I think a couple thousand
of them were made.
One can still get them made from Jaffe and he occasionally posts on here too.
I still have a couple of my old one yet but they are a little tight now with
old age.
That is a very nice one you have there Kyle.
Louis

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Thanks Kyle for the history that you bring to these posts. I was Dept of the Navy for ten years in the 1990s. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Always a pleasure hearing from you Kyle. By the time I was old enough to go to Olongapo's red light district it was merely a shadow of itself, though the American military presence never really left (just drastically reduced). To us locals, Olongapo is Gapo, a name that conveys so many emotions -prosperity gained and lost, dreams conceived and broken. nowadays there are lots more Koreans and Chinese than GIs, though Koreans are on their way out of Gapo with the bankruptcy of the giant steelworks and shipyard.

Have seen a lot of these bands but strangely none on modern Seikos like an skx for example.i don't know why. I guess older guys like us prefer them but the newer generations don't find the appeal we do.

Stateside, I am impressed with the Navajo silver bracelets that I see on 1950ish Elgin, Gruen and Waltham watches, which are a bit similar in execution, except for the turquoise beads that occasionally adorn the Navajo bands.

Sent from my B15Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Very hard to see in the photos but the US Navy Insignia on the Olongapo bracelet is in a slightly more yellow metal (maybe some sort of brass or brass alloy?). Very subtle contrast with the Stainless Bracelet and matches nicely with the aged Lume on the Seiko Dial Hour Markers and Hands. The entire bracelet has a wonderful handmade quality and even the US Navy Insignia has a rough crude look that appears to be one of the earlier Hand Made insignias - not the later stamped metal insignias.

I always thought Olongapos looked uncomfortable but it is just a pleasure to wear. Unlike a mulitple link flexible bracelet the Olongapo is a firm, inflexible shape but it wears loosely and seems to float over the wrist just resting on the outer edges. Bracelet was constructed with a raised center ridge adding a little extra room so it wears well over wrist bones. Worn loose and low it is an Extremely Comfortable Bracelet.... I LOVE IT!

Great watch and bracelet Kyle!

My Dad was in the Navy during WWII as an Aviation Mechanics Mate 2nd class. He gave me a very special ring crafted from a gold Aviation Wing pilots pin that an Italian POW made for him while he was stationed in Africa.

I'd love to have one of those bracelets. Got any extras?.....;)

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts