The Watch Site banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Before" crystal pic: Received watch from Seiko Factory for a complete over-haul and cosemetic make-over. Approx. a decaded of wear, I was absolutely amazed how she appeared brand new again, until I got a side view of the crystal, and noticed the A/R coating scratches that were never addressed. Then Katsu-sann (my Japan AD) replies, and sez crystal must be replaced for $110 plus shipping, plus another 6-8 week wait time. With that said...I finally decided I'd give it a try.

I tried Cape Cod, Brasso, & PolyWatch, all provided w/absolute ZERO results.

The fourth try was a charm...Never give up! :~)
What finally saved the day: Approx. 60-90 seconds each...3 applications of 3 micron grit diamond paste rouge, and a Dremel tool w/buffing wheel.

Preparation...The key to every success!

Each application lasted less than 30 seconds..Crystal felt warm, but not too HOT by the friction caused. Before each application ...I packed 3 heavy coats of rouge around buffing wheel. Then I set the Dremel to minimum speed and used MINIMAL pressure back and forth action from top to bottom....

During each application I took special care not to apply too much pressure around the crystal edge fearing the masking tape protection would fail and polish the newly brushed bezel. Thank God that never happened.
Notice in light glare (7-16 minutes) the remnant of the AR coating still remains on the outer edge.

"After pic: At the end of the day, lesson learned, a properly applied diamond paste rouge technique can in fact remove a scratched AR coating.

Hope Y'all enjoyed...Best wishes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here ya go>>>

https://moldpolishing.engis.com/

Just order the 3 micron grit for starters, then go up from there if no resolve.

Let me know if you need additional grit. I have an unopened 6 micron package I'll let ya have for a steal!

Good luck.

wow...excellent work and great info..i have a few crystals that need polished...i will try this..where did you find that polish...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.