The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across this Seikomatic J13044 and wondered if anyone owns or has seen anything similar? The crystal is scratched and back cover quite worn but other than that it's in excellent shape and keeping great time. I love the dial color and the mix of silver and gold indices. Any comments or insights would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Ultimate Collector
3,356 Posts
I like these early Seikomatic's, and one that you don't often see. It has the less common black dial too. Very nice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like these early Seikomatic's, and one that you don't often see. It has the less common black dial too. Very nice.
Thanks Jim, in your opinion is it better to stay with the original slightly scratched crystal giving it that air of "vintage authenticity" or put in a replacement?

·
Ultimate Collector
3,356 Posts
Thanks Jim, in your opinion is it better to stay with the original slightly scratched crystal giving it that air of "vintage authenticity" or put in a replacement?
There's no reason to stay with a scratched crystal. I would certainly change it.
Here's my j13.083 70m newly serviced and with a new crystal, it looks lovely.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The black dialed Seikomatics are really few and far between, and they're lovely. This is my very similar J14075D, which still has the caseback sticker and is really lovely. I'd throw in that you could probably just polish the crystal unless the scratches are severe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, both gorgeous watches! I've ordered a crystal and am really looking forward to seeing the dial without the scratches. To the naked eye it looks more like a metallic grey rather than black...I will post a new photo once the new crystal is fitted. Jim, where do you get your Seiko's serviced in the UK? Cheers!

·
Ultimate Collector
3,356 Posts
Thanks guys, both gorgeous watches! I've ordered a crystal and am really looking forward to seeing the dial without the scratches. To the naked eye it looks more like a metallic grey rather than black...I will post a new photo once the new crystal is fitted. Jim, where do you get your Seiko's serviced in the UK? Cheers!
I send all of my watches for service or repair to Duncan (TheWatchBloke) www.thewatchbloke.co.uk. I believe he is THE expert in all aspects of service, repair, and resurrecting hopeless causes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jim, I will look him up. I live in the Dominican Republic but am from the UK and get back there regularly. Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts