The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this electronic 0703-7090 (Elnix) in the post today from Yahoo Auction. Fortunately the watch started working with a new battery and the 3-faceted crystal is not in bad shape, but then I noticed the stretchy clasp on the bracelet (XLB141). I've not seen one like this before. It seems to have springs within the clasp to allow it to extend up to 1cm, which seems a really good idea either for large wrists or just when your wrists swell with heat or exercise. Now wondering how many other models this has been used on (excluding diver bracelet extensions). Has anyone else come across such a clasp?

·
Administrator
33,829 Posts
Impressive pictures :)

·
Registered
29,105 Posts
Great pic's I like the idea, Haven't come across one....

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
It isnt part of the clasp, it is the bracelet extender. I have had those stretchy ones too. They were quite comon and some watches were even delivered with a bracelet extender on them from the factory.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks koekoek, good to know. Looking at the fitting at the end of the bracelet, this seems to be an original part rather than something fitted later, so I reckon it came like that from the factory.

·
Registered
29,105 Posts
It isnt part of the clasp, it is the bracelet extender. I have had those stretchy ones too. They were quite comon and some watches were even delivered with a bracelet extender on them from the factory.
An add on piece makes sense, I never seen a Seiko clasp do this. Would be nice if a clasp had a little "give/take" spring to it. :cool:

·
Special Member
1,273 Posts
Some Velcro diver straps had spring loaded extensions like that. I haven’t seen them around since getting out of diving many years ago. Neat idea for a clasp extension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
15,593 Posts
you can buy those off the Bay. I have several that I use in watch bands that are too short and have no extra links. Saves having to replace entire band .... This piece connects to the rear of the clasp and comes in different widths.

It's a good idea to remove the unit and soak in 50/50 mixture of ammonia and water to dislodge dirt and grime from years of use. Give it a good rinse and dry and reinstall.

nice videos!

Attachments

·
Special Member
15,593 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Haha. Fantastic animated GIFs. Cool clasps, too.

·
Registered
640 Posts
FYI, these spring-loaded extension clasps were actually very common on early 70s JDM models from Seiko - you'll find a lot of them on watches that come from Yahoo Japan. Fewer survive than you'd expect, and I've heard two reasons for this posited: 1) Japanese men in the 70s hardly ever needed the full length of a bracelet with the extender, and so removed it (makes more sense than removing bracelet links), and 2) modern collectors remove them thinking they're an aftermarket add-on.

FWIW it's a much better situation when the Seiko ones are removed than when the Citizen original extenders from the same era are tossed... those (which weren't spring-loaded) were designed so they had the same length on both ends. So for them to work, obviously, the bracelet ends had to be about a millimeter narrower than they usually would to fit in the clasp. So when they're removed, the band clinks around back and forth in the clasp. Literally every JDM Hisonic or Cosmotron (and some Leopards) I've collected with an original band either has one of these extenders or has the clinky band, so I think they all came with extenders to begin with.

Just my $.02, but I do have maybe 100 vintage JDM Citizens and maybe 150 JDM Seikos from the 70s, so it's a pretty big sample size.

·
Special Member
1,942 Posts
These seem to be more common on JDM models. Thinner wrists mean the bracelets come without any removable links, but these extenders fitted. I’ve seen them referred to as ‘comfort clasps’ I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great information - I'm glad I asked! Thank you all. To my knowledge, the watch is a JDM model so it all makes sense now. Although I've adjusted the bracelet to fit my wrist, I'm going to leave the stretchy extension on. Seems nice to have that bit extra just in case.

And for comparison, here's a photo of the extension on a Seiko diver (5M45-6A30 "Stingray"). It uses a ratchet method of extending rather than spring-loaded, and is an integral part of the clasp.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've bought a boatload of these from esslinger. When you have big wrists and like vintage watches, these come in very handy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
FYI, these spring-loaded extension clasps were actually very common on early 70s JDM models from Seiko - you'll find a lot of them on watches that come from Yahoo Japan. Fewer survive than you'd expect, and I've heard two reasons for this posited: 1) Japanese men in the 70s hardly ever needed the full length of a bracelet with the extender, and so removed it (makes more sense than removing bracelet links), and 2) modern collectors remove them thinking they're an aftermarket add-on.

FWIW it's a much better situation when the Seiko ones are removed than when the Citizen original extenders from the same era are tossed... those (which weren't spring-loaded) were designed so they had the same length on both ends. So for them to work, obviously, the bracelet ends had to be about a millimeter narrower than they usually would to fit in the clasp. So when they're removed, the band clinks around back and forth in the clasp. Literally every JDM Hisonic or Cosmotron (and some Leopards) I've collected with an original band either has one of these extenders or has the clinky band, so I think they all came with extenders to begin with.

Just my $.02, but I do have maybe 100 vintage JDM Citizens and maybe 150 JDM Seikos from the 70s, so it's a pretty big sample size.
Thank you bbilford. that's certainly a very likely explanation for the absence of extenders on present samples. I've had three early 70s Cosmotrons (the newest was '74) though only two came with original bands. they didnt have these extenders so i guess a former owner got rid of them.

·
Special Member
4,964 Posts
I think the 6139-8050 (JDM) also came with these. Mine fell apart because the spring had rusted away, but the ebay replacement was actually spot on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts