The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:s_hi: Chronofreaks (and Bob:biggrin:),

I have been adding to Pollys old 6139 collection but recently its becoming harder to find the right models at the right price. The 6139's on ebay are going through a low point bargain wise.

I decided a few months ago it was time to start on the 6138's. I don't know it its me but I manage to find pretty decent 6138's for only a little more than crappy 6139's. A couple of weeks ago I sold my Baby tuna and Velatura Kinetic GMT to splurge on another 6138 but could not see anything to take my fancy, most of the Ebay stuff being badly restored and fitted with aftermarket parts.

Out of boredom I whizzed over to Tom hickmans website, its a nicely thought through place and I spied a rather nice looking 6138-0020 Tokei Zara, I spoke to Tom and he kindly let me have discount on the for sale price. It will be a little while coming but in the mean time, shortly after buying Toms I spotted a Tokei Zara on Ebay with no description blurb apart from 'does not work'. I bid on this one too because I figured it would be good to practice my tinkering on and as a last resort....spares. This is the picture from the auction;-

I was surprised to win at £113 and when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised by its relatively good condition. The case and original bracelet having honest signs of use and no abuse. First thing I did was poke about round the back and tighten the loose chronograph bridge screws which made it a runner. Then onto the Timegrapher to get an idea of its condition, it was pretty good so I corrected the beat error and timing and decided to not service it as the movement was pristine and I would not wear it much anyway.

The MO for refurbishment was to leave it alone so the patina of the hands and case matched, so a good clean only, new gaskets and crystal. One job I had to do was repaint part of the minute hand where the paint had chipped. All back together again it's running well and has good positional error with the chronograph working and stopped and the reset is nice too.

I don't know what the consensus is on these but personally after shunning the 0020 in favor of the other fancy 6138's I think this is a super little watch in terms of size, style and comfort, it looks epic on the wrist. It may be helmety but its shrouded lugs are less pronounced than the 6139-7100 and looks better for it and sits lower.

Pretty much got the 6138-0020 covered now as there are only two versions, so will upload a twins picture when the other one arrives. One of them 0030's next or a Panda (can not recall the number).

:s_bye2:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yikes!

What a transformation from the first picture to yours! :-O

Looks very "sharp"!

Noice! ;-D

- Thomas

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, you beat me to that one. I say beat, I actually forgot to bid!

Nice work, it's come up great.

Er, thanks for forgetting and not bidding me up, I had stuck £200 on it so getting it for just over half that was great.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Er, thanks for forgetting and not bidding me up, I had stuck £200 on it so getting it for just over half that was great.

I've been doing it a lot lately, missed about 6 watches purely for forgetting when they finished and not having bid.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It's amazing how much of a difference a new crystal and a little TLC makes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts