The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a number of posts talking about "washing powder" and I assume that is laundry soap, in powder form, but want to make sure before I go screwing something up.

My goal is to use my inbound ultrasonic cleaner to clean up bracelets and bare cases, as well as wife's rings, earrings and such (not movements). Given this use, do I nee ultrasonic cleaning fluid I see online. or is water and soap all I need (unit heats).

Also - how long should items be left in it?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
If its just bracelet and cases then laundry powder/soap will be fine.

My cheapo cleaner has a maximum 360 second cycle and thats enough unless its really bad. If you leave in a jar with soap over night and then blast with the ultrasonic cleaner it works even better.

For watch parts I fill U/C with warm water and then put my parts in a small glass container with a lid and some watch cleaning product. Works a treat.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If its just bracelet and cases then laundry powder/soap will be fine.

My cheapo cleaner has a maximum 360 second cycle and thats enough unless its really bad. If you leave in a jar with soap over night and then blast with the ultrasonic cleaner it works even better.

For watch parts I fill U/C with warm water and then put my parts in a small glass container with a lid and some watch cleaning product. Works a treat.

Good Luck
suggestions on how much soap to use?

·
Registered
708 Posts
suggestions on how much soap to use?
Not a lot. I'd add a drop and see if it does what you need it to do. If not, add another drop.

I've also had good luck spraying watch cases and bracelets with Simple Green (diluted) and then putting that in the water. The ultrasonic action should do most of the work; the soap just helps facilitate the cleaning.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I like household ammonia. This is not compatible with some cleaning tanks. It will also discolor or react with some metals (mainly non-stainless copper alloy base metals). Check the chemistry and limitations of your equipment/materials to be cleaned to determine suitability for use. GemOro makes jewelry cleaning solutions for use in their ultrasounic units...one of the milder ones is the solution they make for their "Sparkle Spa". The recommended cleaning solution by your ultrasonic unit manufacturer is probably the best choice. I would like to be able to offer a "one size fits all" solution, but what I use really depends on what I'm cleaning...its material composition...whether it is plated or not/and with what...as well as condition. Regards, BG

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I'm a watch and clockmaker.

I clean some really YUK:undecided: straps.

I don't have (well maybe I have but I can't find it!) an ultrasonic machine. I used dish wash liquid and boiling water. Put watch parts in bowl and add the above.
Brush with old toothbrush.
Some really dirty ones I repeat the process or soak them in petrol or lacquer thinners and the above.

You don't need an ultrasonic cleaner, you need detergent and elbow grease:grin:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I've an ultrasonic cleaner I use fairy liquid and BOILING water, and be WARNED boiling water will distort the plastic parts tray. :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sewing man , how do you find your ultra 7000 cleaner, is it any good, is it a proper ultra sonic cleaner or just a vibrating paper weight?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Sewing man , how do you find your ultra 7000 cleaner, is it any good, is it a proper ultra sonic cleaner or just a vibrating paper weight?[/QUOT

Hi, Mlne must be 3 year old, and has been great, mainly used for bracelets.
Would not be without it, if you buy S/hand watches this cleaner is a must, highly recommended :)......Bob.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Sewing man , how do you find your ultra 7000 cleaner, is it any good, is it a proper ultra sonic cleaner or just a vibrating paper weight?
I've got the same unit, different brand name maybe but still the same unit.

Had it for a little while and it works a treat - i just use hot tap water and washing up liquid

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ideal cheers guys, I've got one on hold at maplins for £29 brand new, I've got a cheapie argos "sonic" cleaner that just vibrates, to get things clean a brush etc is needed. I know on really mucky things a little help is needed but if these machines are proper ultra sonic cleaners I'll grab one this week.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ok I pulled the trigger on one of these today, and it's great, really great and a proper ultra sonic cleaner aswell, thanks for the info guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts