The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have absolutely no complaints using Tom Hickman aka Thickman808. My 6217 runs sweeter than nicole kidman on ice.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have absolutely no complaints using Tom Hickman aka Thickman808. My 6217 runs sweeter than nicole kidman on ice.
Thanks Tony! Rob knows me and knows I'm just a hobbiest trying my hardest.

I've just had to look that movement up.....and realise it's what's in this...

I had to 'service' this when I received it. Works perfectly now.
I broke the glass trying to get the bezel off (impossible). You can have it if it's any good to you..,

·
Craftsman
2,114 Posts
That model looks like it uses a similar system to the 4623 calibre quartz's for retaining the crystal. When the bezel is removed the crystal and chapter ring come out with it, the crystal then has to be pressed out of the bezel which presses out the chapter ring with it. A further complication is there are two gaskets, the rubber one sealing the crystal and a nylon one holding the bezel on. I've just replaced a couple of crystals on a pair of 4623's, and dismantled and had to reinstall the original crystal on a further one as I couldn't source a one with the exact dimensions and bevel for that particular model. Not the most straight forward cases to work on! I have another one to do which will be on the bench in a couple of days which I'm not really looking forward too. :) Anyone attempting to replace the crystal on one of these types that have the chapter ring pressed into the bezel will need a decent bezel remover and press to get the job done.

·
Registered
912 Posts
That model looks like it uses a similar system to the 4623 calibre quartz's for retaining the crystal. When the bezel is removed the crystal and chapter ring come out with it, the crystal then has to be pressed out of the bezel which presses out the chapter ring with it. A further complication is there are two gaskets, the rubber one sealing the crystal and a nylon one holding the bezel on. I've just replaced a couple of crystals on a pair of 4623's, and dismantled and had to reinstall the original crystal on a further one as I couldn't source a one with the exact dimensions and bevel for that particular model. Not the most straight forward cases to work on! I have another one to do which will be on the bench in a couple of days which I'm not really looking forward too. :) Anyone attempting to replace the crystal on one of these types that have the chapter ring pressed into the bezel will need a decent bezel remover and press to get the job done.
I think it was the uncertainty of how it should come apart and the lack of info that and the unwillingness of it to yield that got me! I might take another look then with your points.

I took it out the drawer this morning and of course I was wrong...it's not the movement I was thinking of, sorry Rob. I'm sure I have seen that 7546 recently...I'll keep looking.

·
Craftsman
449 Posts
Out of interest, what (if anything) is wrong with the 7548/7546 movement that needs servicing?

Is it running? Is the day/date changeover working? Is it keeping time? has it suffered battery leak damage or water damage?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
He's in Leicester I think he's familiar with all things Seiko.
Steve has repaired/service my 7548 did a great job. nice guy...:).......Bob.

P.O.Box 8362
Leicester
LE7 4WX

Phone: 0116 267 7673
Opening Hours: Mon-Thurs 08:30-17:30

·
Craftsman
449 Posts
The 7546 and 7548 movements are very easy to work on.

this is whats under the bridge:

it looked like this before cleaning:

and had a twitching seconds hand.

very easy to clean, oil and generally service.

With most components interchangeable between the 7548 and 7546 it is relatively easy to source spares.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a MM300 that was serviced by Duncan at genesis. (Google will find it). Apparently they are usually Japan only for work but he's nailed it. Running at 2 seconds a day!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts