The Watch Site banner

Two sizes of 6309-704X bezel inserts?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  pollyc 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever encountered different sizes of 704X bezel inserts?

I just traded my 1979 7040 with a fellow forumer for a May 1985 7049 - my first birth month! Since the 1979 was in slightly better condition and the 1985 had an AM insert the swapper was kind enough to let me keep my original 1979 insert.

Unfortunately it won't fit in the 1985 bezel. Not even close. All parts of both watches are original and neither bezel is particularly distorted, but there seems to be a good 0.2mm difference between the insert sizes.

Is it possible the insert size got slightly smaller around the time they stopped printing the suwa on the dials? I was thinking this might explain why some people report having to glue in yobokies inserts and others do not?

#3 ·
Not much to see - without a macro lens I'd be hard pushed to show the 0.2mm overlap* when I lay the 7040 insert over a later 7049 insert, but it's there. Apart from the the bezels and inserts look identical - both have the correct deeper horizontal groove for 6309 rather than 7002 bezels...

*I've rotated inserts when overlaying to be sure it's not a distortion issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.