The Watch Site banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
All 69' 6139-6009's are Resist models and have notched cases. The notched case Resist 6009's models ran up to July of 70' and had 2 piece sweep hands with an "A" movement. The case back on the 6009's is also different from any other 6139-600X showing only "Water Resist" rather then "Water Resistant". I've seen them as early as July 69' but have never seen a Yellow dial notched case 6009 Resist model so I'd have to question the one shown but, as we all know, anything is possible.
Here is my blue dial 6009 perhaps from the last month as you've mentioned. Yellow dial 6009 seems uncommon and unlikely to be that way from factory.

Attachments

·
Special Member
2,802 Posts
Now, yours seems to be from July 70, which is kinda late for a notch and two piece sweep. I guess the 6009 is full of surprises.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
3,877 Posts
I've also got a 6009 notched case Resist from July of 70', several from March of 70' and a couple from 69'.
Personally, I don't think there was ever a 6009 yellow dial version produced by Seiko.

·
Special Member
2,823 Posts
Gads, always learning here. Thanks Tom for the insight. The -6009 is one I need to understand more.

At least, I feel confident, that the early Speedmaster Omega folks have more to keep track of than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SeikoPsycho2

·
Registered
317 Posts

Here is a pic of the caseback. I dont remember the second language on the daywheel. Will check today.

The watch surprized me when I found it. I remember I was searchin for a 6009 resist/resist when this one turned up in a search.
Blue examples are much more common.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've also got a 6009 notched case Resist from July of 70', several from March of 70' and a couple from 69'.
Personally, I don't think there was ever a 6009 yellow dial version produced by Seiko.

Not from Catalog but official Seiko publication nonetheless, this sure looks like a notch case, maybe even with 2 piece hand.

I don’t think I ever seen 6005 with notch case so it could be 6009. no black dial ring here though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
View attachment 466351
View attachment 466352

Here is a pic of the caseback. I dont remember the second language on the daywheel. Will check today.

The watch surprized me when I found it. I remember I was searchin for a 6009 resist/resist when this one turned up in a search.
Blue examples are much more common.
Just wanted to jump in and mention that the “m” in the “70m” on your dial is a lower case one. Where 6009 dial (in blue) should have the upper case “M”. Lower case “m” resist dials are seen in 6005 cases (both blue and yellow dials) therefore I am also leaning towards it being swapped in at some later point.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just wanted to jump in and mention that the “m” in the “70m” on your dial is a lower case one. Where 6009 dial (in blue) should have the upper case “M”. Lower case “m” resist dials are seen in 6005 cases (both blue and yellow dials) therefore I am also leaning towards it being swapped in at some later point.

This is an interesting observation. Thank you.

·
Craftsman
3,877 Posts
View attachment 466409

Not from Catalog but official Seiko publication nonetheless, this sure looks like a notch case, maybe even with 2 piece hand.

I don’t think I ever seen 6005 with notch case so it could be 6009. no black dial ring here though.
That's interesting and I just happened to been having a look at that booklet myself just the other day as I have 2 copies. The case in the photo is notched and it is a yellow Resist dial but It wouldn't be the first time Seiko has shown us a watch that wasn't actually a production model.

I have another Seiko AD showing a 6139-600X with hands that never came on a production model but I'll have to locate it.

·
Craftsman
3,877 Posts

That's a good observation but is not consistent across the 6009 range of watches. I have one from March of 70's with the capital "M" along with one from May of 70' with a capital "M" but I also have one from July of 70' with a lowercase "m". This would indicate that the 6009 Resist dials starting using the lower case "m" sometime around June or July of 70'.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's a good observation but is not consistent across the 6009 range of watches. I have one from March of 70's with the capital "M" along with one from May of 70' with a capital "M" but I also have one from July of 70' with a lowercase "m". This would indicate that the 6009 Resist dials starting using the lower case "m" sometime around June or July of 70'.
Great info thank you!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts