Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you recall if it had a 6139A movement ?

That is the key to an original 2 pc from what I just learned a few months ago from our resident expert Tom.
Not really Jon, seller didn't post any movement shots. I've seen these resist dials with 2 piece sweep, correct me if I'm wrong, on a 6139-6001..or was it 6009.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a resist 6005 with a two-piece sweep. 6139B movement. It also has a black inner ring. I had considered that these may have been replacements, though a long time ago, given they appear to be similar in age to the rest of the watch.
Have to say that is a beautiful combo. I've been tempted plenty of times to swap out the rotating ring on mine for a black one.

·
Special Member
2,837 Posts
I have a resist 6005 with a two-piece sweep. 6139B movement. It also has a black inner ring. I had considered that these may have been replacements, though a long time ago, given they appear to be similar in age to the rest of the watch.
What is the date of your -6005? The one in the pictures is June 1971. My September -6005 is a one piece and was originally as best we can tell (John S. Did the restoration). I wonder if there is some overlap where Seiko used up the old two-piece sweeps? Like Jon I have always associated the two-piece with an “A” movement per Tom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,837 Posts
Have to say that is a beautiful combo. I've been tempted plenty of times to swap out the rotating ring on mine for a black one.

Yes Moe, like the polarizing Aussie Pogue. But I concur, I do like the combo. The Aussie that Tom just finished for me should be at my mailbox any time now. Black and gold, like the JPS, is classic.

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
Do you recall if it had a 6139A movement ?

That is the key to an original 2 pc from what I just learned a few months ago from our resident expert Tom.
Thanks Jon. I'd prefer to consider myself knowledgeable but always learning............:)

·
Registered
964 Posts
The serial number is 274861. The yolky-gold T dial goes well with the combo. I’ve always considered it a small mystery as to why a replacement sweep hand would be a 2-piece type. I bought the watch 6 years ago from Mike M, though he did not know anything about the background of the piece.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The serial number is 274861. The yolky-gold T dial goes well with the combo. I’ve always considered it a small mystery as to why a replacement sweep hand would be a 2-piece type. I bought the watch 6 years ago from Mike M, though he did not know anything about the background of the piece.
Does the dial date stamp match with the serial number?

·
Special Member
2,837 Posts
July 1969

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9 Lite mit Tapatalk
That is very early for a RESIST. I have never heard of one from 1969 even. I’ll defer to the corporate body here on this one. Wow.

·
Special Member
5,183 Posts
July 1969

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9 Lite mit Tapatalk
That’s way early for a resist, the two piece is period correct and to top it off black bezel. That’s as anomalous as it gets, . Day wheel non roman?

·
Special Member
2,805 Posts
Never seen 69 resist, Maybe November or December I could be swayed. But July...I would love to see the back of that dial.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
7,264 Posts
Ju;y 1969 6139-6009 RESIST is a real thing. I think member bbilford83 has one, or maybe his is August 1969.

Being bound for the USA as a newly created -6009 (the "9" at the end being the traditional - but not always because it is SEIKO - North American destination identifier) and knowing our laws had been passed, it's a real deal.

·
Special Member
7,264 Posts
Regarding the 2-peice chrono sweep hand, I am leaning towards this watch origianlly came with a 6139A and when it needed a service rather than rebuild the movement they sourced a new 6139B spare and reused the original sweeper. But it's just a guess / hunch.

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
All 69' 6139-6009's are Resist models and have notched cases. The notched case Resist 6009's models ran up to July of 70' and had 2 piece sweep hands with an "A" movement. The case back on the 6009's is also different from any other 6139-600X showing only "Water Resist" rather then "Water Resistant". I've seen them as early as July 69' but have never seen a Yellow dial notched case 6009 Resist model so I'd have to question the one shown but, as we all know, anything is possible.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts