Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,631 Posts
I'm on this at $1000aud right now
Where do you think it should go?
Speedtimer bracelet from a 7017 chrono

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I saw that one and if I were you, I'd let it go. I know it's a Feb watch, but it needs some work (not as much as the Augustus Mears watch), a lot of it. Hold out for a nicer example.

<* shark >>><

·
Special Member
969 Posts
I saw that one and if I were you, I'd let it go. I know it's a Feb watch, but it needs some work (not as much as the Augustus Mears watch), a lot of it. Hold out for a nicer example.

<* shark >>><
I'm with Larry on this one. It needs a better outer bezel and inner ring, plus significant work on the hour and minute hands. I'd probably relume the dial, and I don't like the looks of the sub dial hand, although for some reason the eyelet in the center of those very early hands seems prone to corrosion. Assuming it needs service, you're probably looking at another 1,000 AUD -- or more -- in parts and labor.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I looked at this one. Given my involvement and investment in the one I posted about on another thread, I was a very interested spectator. I would certainly have been bidding for this watch in the absence of my project watch.

Valuation of such an item is an awkward process. My method is to start at the other end and work backwards. I try to evaluate the value of a finished article in very good original condition and then deduct the cost of achieving that to arrive at a residual value of the project watch. This is the way I assess property (real estate) development propositions, which is my occupation.

In this case, I would say that the finished value of a Feb 69, original in all the important areas, bearing an original Speedtimer bracelet but without CRC, serviced and working perfectly, would be in the order of $1800 US = £1500. Arguably a touch more. This watch requires attention in a number of areas as observed upthread, and would need no less than $600 in servicing and parts to achieve a good finish, and another $500 for a bracelet. That brings the value of the project watch down to about $700, and one can then decide whether to reduce that figure further to allow for aggravation factor/risk element/profit margin.

So it sold for about the right price IMO……

1 - 8 of 8 Posts