The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinions, is the SBBN017 worth the few hundred extra over the SBBN007?
Okay, so I've been fishing for a Tuna. Been looking for over a week now and I've seen some nice examples but usually without the original strap or with a few scratches or without box or papers. And the prices hover around $600 to $650 for these examples. :-\
So I got to thinking, for a little more I can get a brand new SBBN017. I actually like the subtle differences on the dial better on the SBBN017 and I like the signed crown (and I like the brushed shroud on the SBBN015 WAY better but I ain't shelling out 300 bills for a bracelet!)
Then I thought if I buy a previously enjoyed SBBN007, I may be in for a battery change (+gasket and water test, so around $50) soon, bringing the 017 closer.
So... Is the SBBN017 worth the extra in your esteemed opinions? Ideally I'd like to find a SBBN017 used ... O:)

·
Registered
821 Posts
:D

Bro skip that SBBN015,IMO not worth the bucks. You can get better bracelet,more styles, for much cheaper price.
You can change to black bezel like 015 anytime on your 017.

Get a new SBBN017 instead,you will like it more. Try to email katsu higuchi.

Comparsion

SBBN017--drilled lugs for easier,mess-free strap change. Signed crown. 'Marinemaster' imprint. New Watch,nice long presentation box, 700-850 USD

SBBN007--normal lugs,non signed crown. Mostly been used watch. May need service+battery change soon 550-650 USD

·
Registered
110 Posts
tunafied said:
:D

Bro skip that SBBN015,IMO not worth the bucks. You can get better bracelet,more styles, for much cheaper price.
You can change to black bezel like 015 anytime on your 017.

Get a new SBBN017 instead,you will like it more. Try to email katsu higuchi.

Comparsion

SBBN017--drilled lugs for easier,mess-free strap change. Signed crown. 'Marinemaster' imprint. New Watch,nice long presentation box, 700-850 USD

SBBN007--normal lugs,non signed crown. Mostly been used watch. May need service+battery change soon 550-650 USD

Actually the SBBN 007 does have drilled lugs. They are drilled on the left side. Still great strap changing. My battery change "dot" is on 2013...it's not chopped liver, we've got a ways still. My vote goes for the bezel insert style on the 007.

I like that bracelet, but I concur that pricetag is steep!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi,

I had 2 SBBN007's and now own an SBBN015. IMHO the SBBN015 is worth the extra over the SBBN007 for the following reasons:

1) VERY nice,like GS, high quality bracelet with MM clasp (MM300 bracelet is not as nice in my eyes)
2) Brushed shroud
3) Signed crown (which looks better when looking from the watch from the top side as it is slightly longer than the SBBN007)
4) Nicer dial with applied Seiko logo, very pro looking matte silver markers and Marinemaster text
5) Allen screws that will not deform and can be torqued higher (they also look better IMHO)
6) VERY nice and VERY VERY tough ceramic bezel insert (if it was on an Ro**x it would cost 1000USD alone)
7) Brushed hands that reduce glare and look much more professional

this sums up all the differences...both the SBBN015 and SBBN017 are worth the extra over the SBBN007 IMHO :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
:-X
Jan-10 said:
Tunafied. Your spot on. Hey buyer check Seiya on his price for SBBN017... He beat higuchi for me on that model by over 100USD. No joke. Sorry, but it's the truth. :)
100USD below Higuchi's price? :eek: His regular price, or his discounted price? I know I got mine from Higuchi for ~$650 when he had it on his December sale. $550 today would be a great buy! :-\

Then again, the JPY then was at ~Y88-$1, and now it's near Y94...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, $650 is a SMOKIN deal!. Right now Seiya & Higutchi are quoting $837 and $899
Used SBBN007s are going for $650...Crazy.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd go with the SBBN007 for several reasons:

-I heavily prefer the SS insert
-I love the more pronounced cocentric circles around the markers
-Less text on the dial
-I prefer the non-signed crown
-I like the finish on the shroud better.

Just my opinion though. ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think the new bracelet makes a huge difference. I think I saw pics of it here or on WUS and the real life pics were impressive. My watch budget is shot for the year...actually shot for the next few years :( If I was in the market for a new tuna, I would bite the bullet and get it! I would hate to regret not buying it and paying extra later.

I think the SBBN007 has a classic look and can be an in demand classic soon (it's kinda got some demand now right?). I feel lucky to have bought a new one right before they were discontinued.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I'm happy to report that I found my deal and pulled the trigger. I'll post details and pics when it hits.
I'm excited! Did I mention I was excited? I'm REALLY excited!...Is the mail here yet?

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Aurelius said:
Wow, $650 is a SMOKIN deal!. Right now Seiya & Higutchi are quoting $837 and $899
Used SBBN007s are going for $650...Crazy.
Guys, where are you getting these prices??
I want a 015

·
Registered
151 Posts
It was a special deal Higuchi was running for the SBBN017, Time, sometime back in December. He did similar in Feb/March with both the SBBN015 & 017 i believe, though I never heard what the price was then. Maybe camp out on his site/blog for the next one? ;D

Yes, I was extremely happy w/ getting a new Tuna for what people feel their old ones should be worth... not that it's not worth it. ;)

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I remember the December special, wasn't aware of the other one.
Oh well, I'll make sure to drop by his site more often.
Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts