The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've noticed some people wear Tudors on here and I know the cases are made by Rolex...but for an ETA movement do you guys think the Pelagos is really worth the $3700k it goes for vs a used Date Just or Japanese watch that could easily compete?

The good thing is that you don't need Rolex to service it I guess. Sellita SW200 for drop in.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Hey, I've noticed some people wear Tudors on here and I know the cases are made by Rolex...but for an ETA movement do you guys think the Pelagos is really worth the $3700k it goes for vs a used Date Just or Japanese watch that could easily compete?

The good thing is that you don't need Rolex to service it I guess. Sellita SW200 for drop in.
They modify the 2824-2 quite a bit. I'll try to find some pictures. I seem to remember that, for one, the balance cock is replaced with a bridge. I don't recall if the balance is free-sprung or not.

That said, modern Tudors are too rich for my blood, no matter what's inside.

Myles

·
Special Member
1,819 Posts
I'd buy a pelagos over a datejust in most cases unless you could find a super nice 1600 (smooth bezeled version of the 1603). as to value, sure, I don't have a problem with that number.

I would rather spend the coin for a sbge001 over the pelagos if I could find one for a "good price." I turned one down for $3k a few years back and am kicking myself for that one now. lol. live and learn.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like the Heritage Chrono, for the difference in price for a Daytona it represents a genuine way into the "Rolex" story. I like the Palagos (I've not owned one) but probably wouldn't choose to buy one over an Omega of similar money. You can buy a PO2500 for very similar money.

Having owned umpteen Rolex I think the key is to not see them as a Rolex replacement in a collection. If you can't see the brand as a stand alone option you probably are buying a "poor mans Rolex" which will only lead to coveting the watch you really wanted!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I thought Rolex and Tudor parted ways years ago and Tudor has nothing whatsoever to do with them anymore. The cases used to be made by Rolex but now?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey, I've noticed some people wear Tudors on here and I know the cases are made by Rolex...but for an ETA movement do you guys think the Pelagos is really worth the $3700k it goes for
No.

vs a used Date Just or Japanese watch that could easily compete?
Yes.

Agree.

In summary, buy a Seiko any old Seiko will do. Why? because:

1. They tell the time.
2. You don't have to re mortgage the house, sell the wife/ husband/ boyfriend/ girlfriend/ partner civil or otherwise into slavery/ prostitution to own one.
3. They look good (well most do but with everything there are exceptions).
4. James Bond wears them (yes I know it was Moore but life's not that perfect).
5. You can service them at a reasonable price via an independent watch repairer (SWATCH GROUP PLEASE NOTE).
6. You can if so inclined source parts and repair them yourself if so inclined (SWATCH GROUP PLEASE NOTE)
7. eeerrr thats it.

·
Special Member
6,538 Posts
Wear a modern Rolex and be truthful to yourself. I find my vintage Seikos so compelling to collect and wear and appreciate and covet, but they do not stack up 1-on-1. Everything about the Rolex is superior. Just tinker with one and you'll understand.

My only Tudor is an early quartz. They used a movement that began life as a multi-jeweled top end ETA, was purchased by Omega for upgrades and a rebranding with a few jewels added, then Tudor bought for final improvements, decorating and even a few more jewels (9J final count). It ends up within 30 seconds/year accuracy which the base ETA could never perform to. So it's not really an ETA movement by the time it gets placed into the Rolex Oyster case with Rolex Oyster bracelet.

Tudor as a stand-alone brand has a great place on horology. Tudor to be a poor man's Rolex will leave you half empty.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Tudor is a quality product. However, what it's worth is a subjective determination. For the $, considering resale, I'd probably go one step further and get a Rlx.

·
Registered
8 Posts
worth it

I have most affordables to include many Seiko's and a number of 2824 watch's. However, the machining and build quality of my Tudor Pelagos are better than any of my other watches. The Tudor also uses the top grade movement from ETA and do some changes of their own. Is that worth the money? It is really down to the person, but I personally think the 2824 is a great movement and the Tudor represent good quality for the money when compared to Rolex prices. Just my $.02,

·
Ultimate Collector
2,995 Posts
I don't know if Tudor are a 'rip off', probably not, but they are not for me anyway. I would prefer to choose a GS auto all day long..

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can't comment on the new ones but this old Oyster Prince has been in daily use most of the time since around 1955. I inherited it in 1986 and apart from short holidays, when I wore a new aquisition for a week or two, it was my everyday watch until last July. It is due for a service as it had started losing a couple of minutes a month. Not bad for an old watch.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Tudors are in the near-luxury watch segment, nothing in the luxury segment are "worth it", or not a "rip off" for your wallet ... LOL

Since the Pelago's case is made by Rolex, how much do you think Rolex would charge if they are making a full titanium cased diver's watch?

For reference, the all SS (904L steel) Sub Date with ceramic bezel 116610 is $8550, and the Sea Dweller Deepsea with a 2 piece titanium caseback is well over $10k.

Is the Pelagos with full titanium case and bracelet, ceramic bezel, with the trick clasp and rubber strap a steal at about half the price of a SS SubC Date? No doubt Rolex is a better watch, and the prices reflect that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts