The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, finished my latest couple of mods. I am getting slightly better at this. Yet only slightly. I wish we could teleport watch parts from HK. Anyways, has anyone found aftermarket hands to not fit as well as official Seiko? I have had a few lately that literally would not fit (second hands) and minute hands that would fall off.

Anyways, pictures for your review and comment!!

Thanks for the help.

Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
I like those Bryan. Think they're tastefully done and I'd wear one! And this is from someone who hates most mods I see...

As for hands I have heard that, too. Only the other day I think Tiger and SeikoPsycho were talking about it.

I believe you could invest in a tool to resize the hand holes but not sure what it's called...

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
If the hand is too loose put the tube in a pin vice and tighten it little by little until its a tight fit to the pinion.
If the hand hole is too small and it wont fit onto the pinion you will need to broach it.

I have had to broach several aftermarket sweep hands to get them to fit, never had problems with hour and min hands though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently got some aftermarket hands for the first time and was very disappointed with the quality. The finish and lume application on both sets was very inconsistent. I don't think I'll be using aftermarket hands again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've used aftermarket replacement hands for years and I'm of the opinion that the steel ones cause few problems but beware the painted ones .
I first noticed this when I purchased a set of white quartz diver hands .I tried to fit them but found the minute hand would not fit on the shaft (?) nor would the second hand .I tried several times and caused the paint to wear off leaving me with a hand that was too slack on the shaft .This has happened a number of times .I use two suppliers and it seems that hands supplied by one of them cause more problems than the other guy's hands .I don't want to incriminate this supplier ,I just switched to the other one where hands are concerned .
To sum up I believe that the paint coating reduces the size of the hole in the hand and as this wears off the hole is too big !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts