The Watch Site banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone throw some light on this subject?

I understand ‘Tropical’ dials are dials that have gone caramel or light brown consistently over the surface of the dial, due to exposure to ‘Tropical’ climate?

But what is a ‘Tropicalized’ watch ? I see it occasionally engraved on the casebacks of 1960’s watches.

Does this relate to a specific standard / set of specifications? or a selling gimmick used by watch manufacturers before the late 1960’s when terms like “Waterproof” were not allowed to be used anymore?

I understand that Hamilton made a high end “Tropicalized” watch.

Any insight or information on this subject would be gratefully received.

See photo below :

1960’s Alpina Stratomatic

1960’s Hamilton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
9,330 Posts
I know Hamilton made the RAF general service (GS) watch but not sure how high end it is/was.

With regard to the term ‘tropicalised’, it is generally understood that the term means to make or adapt something for use under tropical conditions. Not sure that there's a watch industry definition of ‘tropicalised’, although the use of the term in a wrist watch context could mean the watch is water resistant and so can be used in hot and humid climates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, there seems to quite a few makers that engraved “Tropicalized” on their case backs in the 1960’s, I’m wondering if there was a set of standards that had to be adhered to before this term could be used, but I suspect not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
0 Posts
Does this relate to a specific standard / set of specifications? or a selling gimmick used by watch manufacturers before the late 1960’s when terms like “Waterproof” were not allowed to be used anymore?
And it was not allowed? This is the first time I meet such an opinion .... As for the inscription, I think that it is a simple marketing gimmick, human sweat is worse than the humid, hot climate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts