The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I quite often find myself reading for sale posts and when I get to the very end of the post, after the bumps and reductions replies - the vendor has tacked a "sold" message at the very end.
It's pretty annoying after reading through the whole rigmarole, to find it's sold! - could we not "tweak" the rules to make sure vendors put SOLD in the header of the ad, not in a reply at the end?
What do you think?

·
Administrator
32,628 Posts
Hi Dave, I know what you mean but.......................even if we made it a rule some guys wouldent do it, as you know we struggle at times to get members to even put FS or price or..................

Can be pretty boring at times so i don't think another rule will help :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
It would be nice if all posters marked [SOLD] in front of their FS post when an item sells but it's hard to expect everyone to do that. I'm a mod for a tuba/euphonium forum and we do that as mods when we see the poster hasn't ... but we only have about 800 members with a lot less sales. SCWF must have 10's of thousand members with many sales.

·
Special Member
2,805 Posts
It would be nice if all posters marked [SOLD] in front of their FS post when an item sells but it's hard to expect everyone to do that. I'm a mod for a tuba/euphonium forum and we do that as mods when we see the poster hasn't ... but we only have about 800 members with a lot less sales. WF must have 10's of thousand members withs many sales.
Although a big forum in numbers, most of its members have never managed a single post, and there are not too many sellers either,

Rob

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dave, I know what you mean but.......................even if we made it a rule some guys wouldent do it, as you know we struggle at times to get members to even put FS or price or..................

Can be pretty boring at times so i don't think another rule will help :(
I think that non-compliers should be put on R.O.P.s;)
Crucifixion second offence.

·
Special Member
27,777 Posts
The Old Saying comes to mind...You can lead a horse to water.....You know the rest :)

·
Special Member
7,264 Posts
Not everyone knows that in order to add "SOLD" in front of the listing requires the use of "Go Advanced" in the EDIT section which must be accessed under the original post, not under any of the subsequent "bumps".

·
Registered
708 Posts
I dunno, it seems like there's some pretty good rules in place for the Marketplace at MacRumors.com.

You pick from a preselected prefix (FS, FT, WTB, Feeler, FS[ended], FT [ended], etc.) and once the item sells, users can go back and edit the prefix. They've also got a rule that prices should be left once the item sells. Other places I've seen will lock the thread if it doesn't conform to the "template."

I agree that too many rules makes for difficult selling, but there's a massive spectrum on which consistency and convenience can both be satisfied.

·
Administrator
32,628 Posts
We have asked the software guys umpteen times if they could produce a TF template but as of now they still havent been able to produce one that meets our (or any) requirements, PITA really :)

·
The Joker
30,961 Posts
I think it would be common courtesy to post "sold" conspicuously on a sold item and "OHPF" on pending items. And most of us here are courteous, aren't we?

·
Registered
302 Posts
We have asked the software guys umpteen times if they could produce a TF template but as of now they still havent been able to produce one that meets our (or any) requirements, PITA really :)
If interested... The forum Admn on the Tuba/euphonium forum where I moderate, recently changed a 'thumbs-up' icon to a 'green check mark'. He said, "You may notice that some of the listings in this category have a Check-Mark icon next to the title. That indicates that the sale is complete (or that the listing has ended). So if you are looking for a deal, you can avoid the Check-Marked listings. But if you want to see what the results were to give you a perspective, then you could click through the Check-Marked listings."

Here's a snap shot:

Attachments

·
Special Member
7,264 Posts
I think it would be common courtesy to post "sold" conspicuously on a sold item and "OHPF" on pending items. And most of us here are courteous, aren't we?
I don't believe in the concept of OHPF, unless it's over $1000 or more where legitimacy of wire transfers kicks in. To me it's first guy with the money.

I recently (almost) bought from you right here on SCWF so you know I never asked for a hold. BTW you are a most gracious seller, may I add. (PS- Still thinking about that one ! )

·
Special Member
7,264 Posts
If interested... The forum Admn on the Tuba/euphonium forum where I moderate, recently changed a 'thumbs-up' icon to a 'green check mark'. He said, "You may notice that some of the listings in this category have a Check-Mark icon next to the title. That indicates that the sale is complete (or that the listing has ended). So if you are looking for a deal, you can avoid the Check-Marked listings. But if you want to see what the results were to give you a perspective, then you could click through the Check-Marked listings."

Here's a snap shot:
I would LOVE the Check Mark system !!!

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Got that right!

But, You can Tune a Piano !!!
:iagree:

If people updated their title line with SOLD then it would also save the moderators the task of sorting through replies to find the item's status (which is necessary when we are trying to enforce the "five active posts" guideline). :banghead:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts