The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'll give 'em credit for getting a few right - the Ananta, the Orient 300, the Campanola, the Monster. Those are not all on my list of the Top 10 Japanese watches, but then, I include a lot of older, hard to find collectible stuff.

Where they drop the ball... the Sportura, the Pathfinder, the Promaster, forgodsake the Casio Edifice? Nothing wrong with any of those, and I've owned several of them, but Top 10 candidates they are not.

But God bless 'em at Askmen.com. They are, if nothing else, enthusiastic newcomers to the world of discussing watches on the internet, and at least they try... ;D

·
Registered
232 Posts
The G has got to be number 1 G! : ) For the masses that is not WIS. Interesting top 10 I would not have chosen a few of those. I've never been there but man I get a lot of pop ups O0

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jbdan said:
The G has got to be number 1 G! : ) For the masses that is not WIS. Interesting top 10 I would not have chosen a few of those. I've never been there but man I get a lot of pop ups O0
I hear ya. It makes sense to me that the G's would make most sense for casual watch wearers.

P.S. I'm wearing my 6600 right now with the red "G" on the display. I guess that means that G is wearing a G that has a G on it. O0

·
Registered
16 Posts
it's a pretty good list considering that they put various japanese watches at different price points and types.

this list is also subjective and should be taken with the fun intent in it.

personally, i have presently 5 of those mentioned: casio ga100, seiko orange monster, seiko sportura chronograph, casio edifice vettel limited edition, orient diver.

it's all cool. 8)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just consider the source of the so-called "Top Ten Watches", and look at it that way, entertaining yes, accurate no. IMO.

Check the titles of some of the other Top Ten subjects-Douchbag Fashions? Vodka? Books with movie appeal? I mean who the heck cares?

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
for a typical survey of the public (they are not WIS's), I find the list quiet good.
It might not reflect our top 10, but I can see where they are coming from.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm wondering what criteria they were going by. Function, cost, metal, hand made...etc. It is very unclear and most of all I have no idea what the article is really about.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
I either own or have owned some of the watches depicted on that list and I think it is right on the money FOR ME.

Take these top ten anything lists with a grain of salt. They have nothing but entertaining value all over them and some guys should not get worked up over them. Everybody has a top 10 list and it vastly differs from person to person. (Tastes, budget, type of watches, etc).

As for the criteria of this particular list, I believe Ariel wanted watches that are readily available in brick and mortar stores in the US and Canada. No JDM watches and none of that overseas shipping either.

·
Registered
28,893 Posts
JMHO, but trying to list the top ten Japanese watches is like trying to list the top ten beautiful women. (Responses and opinions would probably be widely variant.) ;D

·
Registered
151 Posts
... or reveals the fact that they're looking at watches readily available only in the USA/CA, as mini said. None of the shipping overseas business, where packages can easily get lost or delayed; who wants to bother with shipping, insurance, customs fees, yadda yadda?
(Yes, that is a rhetorical question! ;) )

Really, this list is a decent one, once you factor that into account. Sure, there may be some that have you scratching your head, but overall, it includes some good examples, and introduces some interesting watch lines to people who would otherwise not be aware of them.

And rock them all you want, but the Edifice is a nice line at the mid-lower end of the price range... sure they're not on the level of some others, but I wouldn't complain (too much!) if I were forced to choose from them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
All nice watches but such busy cases and busy dials. Definitely the nicest (in my opinion) is number 10 - the Orient 300m Saturation diver.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts