The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of modding a few watches and need to get some more tools. The watches I'm modding are your basic skx007/009 with the trusty 7s26. My question to all you out there is what sizes of hand setting tools should I get? I understand that the 7s26 has hand sizes of 150/90/20 but what I don't know is what tools I really need. I'm looking at esslinger and they have many different brands and sizes available for those wondering. Thanks for any advice/help with my first mod

·
Registered
456 Posts
Buy the best you can afford? If you like hand held tools or a presto press. I kind if jig that press straight. I prefer hand held. Others like the jig version. Like the bergeon 7404-2 would do nice? For the second hand i use a toothpick :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy the best you can afford? If you like hand held tools or a presto press. I kind if jig that press straight. I prefer hand held. Others like the jig version. Like the bergeon 7404-2 would do nice? For the second hand i use a toothpick :)

I think that I want hand held tools because I feel that I have more control. What sizes of the tips should I get? I don't need a professional set up, just enough to get myself in trouble on some Seiko divers.

·
Administrator
30,686 Posts
I think that I want hand held tools because I feel that I have more control. What sizes of the tips should I get? I don't need a professional set up, just enough to get myself in trouble on some Seiko divers.
Details taken from a ebay add but what I use.

Many Seiko hand sizes are, 20/90/150 (auto/quartz) or 20/65/110 (quartz)

Bergeon 7404 Watch Hand Fitting Tools

Bergeon 7404 Set Of 3 Watch Hand Fitting Tools.
Length: 115 mm. Ø: 6 mm. Consists of Bergeon 7404-1, 1 end piece in white PVC with a hole of Ø0.50mm, and 1 end piece in black PVC with a hole of Ø1.00mm. Bergeon 7404-2, 1 end piece in grey PVC with a hole of Ø1.50mm, and 1 end piece in red PVC with a hole of Ø0.80mm. Bergeon 7404-3, 1 end piece in brass, flat, and 1 end piece in PVC, blue with centre pointing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use an inexpensive set (3 tools, 6 tips). Esslinger has some. My set has 0.5/0.6 - 0.0 (flat)/1.0 - 1.3/1.5 . I find I use the larger sizes more often than the smaller ones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the kind of info I was looking for, thanks everyone. It looks like I'll buy the 3 different tools

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Very much a novice, and after a couple instances setting hour hands too far I almost exclusively use 1.0 and flat setting tools. I only mess around with Seikos and Citizens for the most part and the 1.0 works well to at least get the hour hand close to the right height as it's just big enough to fit over the cannon pinion. I can tweak with a slightly bigger tool if needed, but I generally only keep the 1.0 and flat out so I don't grab the wrong one by mistake again.

·
2,237 Posts
^^ I have one of those too and they are a quality bit of kit for the money. However, I always seem to end up using the Bergeon 'hand' tools as I find them easier to manoeuvre the hands around to get accurate alignment. You'll discover what suits you best once you've done a few :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use the Cousins one as well and I prefer to use the stand. I find it makes it much easier to align the hands at exactly midnight. It also makes it a lot easier to get the second hand on quartz watches to tick bang on the markers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts