The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often I and others seem to fetishise tool watches and specific features which can never be of any conceivable real use. Military-grade straps and helium escape valves (in non-Seiko's) are obvious examples. however for once I got to actually use a watch in the way it was intended, and it felt great.

This year we were lucky enough to be able to go skiing in france.

I pondered what watch to bring to allow me to see what time it was quickly and repeatedly as I timed my return to meet wife and son after their lessons. Some other flashier 8f's were on the list but in the end I took just one (for skiing at least).

The watch is my green dial 8f56 SBCJ009 Landrek Perpetual Calendar I have had for 6 months or so. Underwhelmed by it at first I put it on a GasGasBones velcro strap and its blown me away as a daily wearer ever since.

Not only was it great on the bright days, it was a champ on the awful day of high winds and snow, luckily I got up the mountain before they shut the main lifts down.

The ability to strap it comfortably over my jacket, know that it could take most any weather, temperature, or impact I was likely to encounter, and be visible at a glance while halfway down a slope made it a really rewarding choice, much more than I would have predicted. great to see a watch actually out in its element. Doubleplusgood to Carl at GasGasBones, I have always loved the velcro strap on the Spacewalk and thats the sort of thing he does.

And to top it all the clock on the wall where we stayed was a Seiko...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Clement, by name it would be perfect ("Some other flashier 8f's were on the list")! In practice I would scared to ding it, wouldn't be able to read it from afar, and would never have gotten it over my jacket. However it was my apres ski watch of choice!

·
2,237 Posts
Nice holiday and a very nice watch......I've been looking for a GMT such as the Alpinist or the Perpetual.........but not having any luck :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts