The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good tool kits out there that people recommend? I've seen the cheaper one on Amazon and eBay, but do they work well? Last?

Ideas on a good kit?

·
Registered
507 Posts
You will get what you pay for. The Swiss tools are expensive for a reason. I bought a cheap set of screwdrivers that are copies of Swiss Bergeons. I am gradually replacing the cheap ones with Swiss, and the difference is like night and day. To be honest, the cheap stuff is absolute crap compared to the quality stuff.
Seiko tools are high quality, which is not suprising.
The typical "Amazon special" of cheap tools might be ok for a short while to see if you want to continue down the path of DIY watch repair, but eventually you will need some decent quality kit.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The cheap tool kit is enough to get you started, but barely. Half the tools in there usually aren't even usable for what we do, or they need to be modified. I started with one myself, and I have slowly added to and modified the tools in it. The only things that are really useful are the caseback opener and the screwdrivers - once you file them to the proper shape. The little hammer is oddly useful as well come to think of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a cheap one from ebay. Some of the tools are useable. The strap press was junk. The case back tool (3 point) works well. The screwdrivers are not hardened, but good enough if the screws are not too tight and you are careful.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was lucky enough to buy a used set that someone had bought from the Timezone watch school, but they sold it all on an auction site as they "didn't have steady enough hands" and couldn't get on with it.
I completely agree with soulboy. Buy quality tools at the point you need them and as you become more experienced your tool collection will gradually grow.
You may even be lucky enough to get some lightly used bargains on auction sites.
Just to contradict myself though, sometimes the cheapest tools i.e. a stick of pegwood with small piece of rodico on the end can be indispensable.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
A*F are a good bet. They're a budget swiss brand, decent quality, very useable. More expensive than the chinese / indian stuff, but quite a bit cheaper than the pro swiss brands like Bergeon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've got the cheaper set on flea bay but just recently started buy some quality Bergeon stuff!

·
Registered
5 Posts
What seems to need replacement frequently from cheap sets are the small screwdrivers and band pin pusher (bend many). I've decided those are my two tool kit upgrades and try to seek best quality for price based on sales or clearance. Sorry no brand just tool type of upgrade here... I have yet to purchase a case press but will soon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Case back remover tools. Been looking at the 3 pin ones on ebay for around $10. I know I'm getting what I pay for but really can't justify the $80+ brands just yet. Any feedback?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use one like that, but there is a reason they are only $10. Very sloppily made, and are hard to keep adjusted tightly on the case back, so they have a tendency to slip. If you don't mind running the risk of scratching the heck out of the case then they are usable.

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts