The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Special Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When in Tokyo a few weeks ago I was on the hunt as always for some watch bargains. When I landed in the country I headed to a local flea market.

Japanese flea markets always seem to have a lot more watches than I see at flea markets in other countries. The items for sale are neatly laid out and usually clearly and individually priced. I have managed to find some bargains previously and it is always interesting to see what is for sale.

The vendors have many different products with a mix of antiques, household goods and second hand items.

At the markets there were many watches but nothing particularly special that really stood out for me. Instead I found a few watches mainly for spares and did not spend much on any of them.

First was an A159-4000 with broken display. Nothing special about this one but as it was around $1.50 I bought it just for the battery cover and anything else I can salvage from it.

Next was a 5Actus 6106-8660, as you see the dial is a mess but it is running fine and the movement, hands, day/date wheels are all good. For about $5 it seemed worthwhile.

I also purchased this Seiko Sportsman J13035.

It was a model I had not seen before and it clearly is in poor shape but I did love the case back. This one was just a couple of dollars.

Next were a couple of Seiko QR models. A blue 3863-7020 with beat up case but nice dial.

and a 3863-8000 that has the full length original bracelet.

This one has a very rough dial, slightly chipped crystal and bent stem but the rest looks OK. Both the QR models were about $8 each.

Following the early quartz models was this QZ 0923-8000 with a gold plated case that was about $15.

This has a nice clean dial and the case is in OK condition. The watch is running fine but could do with a quick clean and a new crystal.

I also picked up this SilverWave duo H557-5130. It has a replacement band and could also do with a new crystal but when I dropped in a new battery it fired up right away and is working perfectly. This one was just under $10.

I also grabbed this Alba 7T92-0DG0 chrono with a Ti case and bracelet. This was working fine and is only missing a pin from the bracelet. It did not really appeal to me but the working movement seemed like a good deal for around $8.

Probably my favorite pickup was this green dialled QGP122 Type II 7123-8100 from 1978.

This is in reasonable shape and came with the original bracelet. It has a small amount of damage to the edge of the dial but it was only when I took this photo that I noticed it. This one cost around $14.

Lastly was this AGS Spirit GMT 5M45-6A10. It has a titanium case and bracelet, true independently adjustable GMT and world time bezel.

This needs a new capacitor but otherwise is working fine and I thought a really good deal for around $16.

While none of these watches are amazing it does give some idea of the range of models on offer and the price ranges that are asked.

I also had a chance to attend a watch show at the Matsuya Ginza department store. This was held on the top floor of the store and had numerous watch vendors selling vintage watches.

The vendors had a good mix of watches with Japanese and Swiss models but most of the watches were Swiss. There were a smaller number of Japanese watches but this was still a lot compared to what I would normally see outside of Japan.

There were many nice watches but the prices were all full retail as you would expect and no bargains to be found.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Great sharing. I wonder if there are many flea markets in Japan that could offer some hidden jewels e.g 6159, 6215 etc

·
Special Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great sharing. I wonder if there are many flea markets in Japan that could offer some hidden jewels e.g 6159, 6215 etc
Most of the vendors seem to have a pretty good handle on what watches are worth and there are lots of collectors about so while an occasional bargain will pop up I am sure that they are quite rare.

Still, it is that possibility of a great find that keeps us looking.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Some real bargains there, my favourite is the green faced Type II as well, though, if it didn't have the gold highlights and faceted crystal, the blue faced QR would top the list.:cool:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Wow nice finds. Hope to go to flea markets as well in Japan in two weeks time. Did you see other vintage Seikos at other locations Sir?

·
Special Member
1,933 Posts
I wish we had flea markets like that here. Some great little watches you've picked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Wow some great finds you got there :clap:

Love to go to fleamarkets here in Belgium,but a fleamarket in Japan must be the main wish i have.

Alway's like these posts from you :13:

·
Special Member
4,567 Posts
Great travelogue for the fleamarket. We are going to the Osaka one on the 21st, which is held every month on the 21st. I attended this one 10 years ago when I had bought a small Seikosha wall clock for $50. Your finds and prices will give me an idea! Cheers!

·
Registered
103 Posts
There's a good outdoor antique market just outside Tokyo in Yamato: http://www.fleamapket.com/listing/yamato-promenade-antique-market/

I went a couple of times last year and although most sellers know very well the value of any watches they have, there are a few beaters in the junk boxes. I got a slim 2220-0180 for 500 yen (US$5) with no glass and bad dial. It's a hi-beat which I was excited about, but it's also a much-too-fast-beat and the movement is shiny with oil! It's still waiting for space on the workbench...

Anyway, the next one should be this Saturday. Now you've reminded me I might head along.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Would love to visit Japan, and not just for Seiko watches (I know - sacrilege to say that, on here!), but to visit so many historical sites too, and soak up the culture - and ramen!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts